Trailblazer 3-2-1 Ribs. Rec Tec recipe from cookbook

dhulick

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-300
I recently cooked ribs using the Rec Tec cook book for 3-2-1 ribs.. I also have a Traeger and the one thing I do love on the Traeger is “their” recipe for 3-2-1 ribs... I am not a competition cooker so I love mine to fall off of the bone...
The Traeger calls for 3 hrs.of smoke initially..their smoke is around 170-180.. Then you do 225 basically for the last two hours after wrapping/basting them..

The Rec Tec recipe is 275 for all 6 hrs.!!!! I tried this and they were tough and dry... Then I tried my own process and put it in extreme smoke for the 1st 3 hrs..it was better but still not fall off of the bone and SUPER Smokey.. Anyone had a similar experience or advise??
P.S. I do love this Rec Tec so really need to figure this out...

I recently cooked ribs using the Rec Tec cook book for 3-2-1 ribs.. I also have a Traeger and the one thing I do love on the Traeger is “their” recipe for 3-2-1 ribs... I am not a competition cooker so I love mine to fall off of the bone...
The Traeger calls for 3 hrs.of smoke initially..their smoke is around 170-180.. Then you do 225 basically for the last two hours after wrapping/basting them..

The Rec Tec recipe is 275 for all 6 hrs.!!!! I tried this and they were tough and dry... Then I tried my own process and put it in extreme smoke for the 1st 3 hrs..it was better but still not fall off of the bone and SUPER Smokey.. Anyone had a similar experience or advise??
P.S. I do love this Rec Tec so really need to figure this out...
You will find recipes from all over the place and I have used several and modified as necessary to get the results, for the pull and taste I'm looking for. 275 for 6 hours I'm surprised you had anything left on your grill except for bones at the end of your cook.

Last edited:
I typically cook ribs for the first four hours at 225 with extreme smoke engaged. I then bump up to 250-275 (depending on how they look after the first four hours) for the remainder of the cook, saucing and setting the sauce for about 30 minutes at the end. I do not foil ribs anymore. They come out with great smoke flavor, tender and moist. Not fall off the bone however.

My practice, even before I had a Bull and I was cooking on a BGE, is to do 225-235 for the entire 6 hours. IMO the foil part is key to the fall off the bone part. You want more bite, then less time in the foil. Not falling off the bone enough, more time in the foil. Either way, total cook time should be still around 6 hours total at 225-235

I run for about 5 hrs, no foil, spray after 2 hrs, every hour. I like a nice bite. Not in for fall off the bone. ??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back