6.7 lb bnless butt, your opinion on time, any tips ??

OldBull

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I have purchased a 6.7 lb boneless butt that is really well marbled. It is about 4" tall and 8 inches at the widest. I'm trying to figure a ballpark estimate on how much time it would need so I can plan dinner +- a couple of hours. Also any tips you may have. My guess is 10 total hours at 220-250

Was your best boston butt brined ??
Sometimes good all salt and pepper are all that is needed ?
should I add additional smoke ?
how often to mist ?

Thanks for any help.

Cook to internal temp every piece of meat is different (195-205)
The stall is always different time length.
But if we generalize 60-90 minutes a pound..
10 hrs is probably a good guess
I don't brine
I add smoke tube
I don't usually wrap mine but that's something to consider after smoke time.
Everyones opinion is different do what works for you! Goodluck post some pics !

I agree. A little more than an hour per pound. Also depends on actual pit temp. If you wrap you lose some of the amazing bark. I crank the heat a bit towards the end but watch carefully. Have fun!

Thanks for the help, a little bit of what to expect can go a long way toward the confidence of getting started and that was what I needed.

I've found it to be closer to the higher estimates at 225. Plus it's much easier/less stressful to throw it in a cooler for a few hours if it's done early than it is to keep cranking up the temperature when you have hungry guests. I apply my rub 12hrs before if I can and wrap it in saran wrap. I don't wrap it once it's on to get the best bark possible. Oh, and I don't bother spraying at all, I haven't found that it makes a lot of difference.

Well it is on but a few days late because of preperation for virus. Not quite a great piece of meat, my fault. Boneless means it has been hacked and is basically one long flat piece after you take it out of the package (looks great folded up like a butt in the package). Note to self, don't buy boneless. I also hacked it in half, current situation with the virus and I decided to barely thaw it, then electric knife it in half. Cook half, back to the freezer with the other. I folded it back up to cook it, I will just have to see what happens.

Last time I cooked a boneless tied it back up, to get more even cooking. Others spread them out to get extra bark. Both can work, but I tend to prefer bone-in.

Yes, I have butchers twine and have trussed quite a few but as I get older I keep making mistakes. As soon as I lifted the lid I realized I should have tied it. Damn old age sucks. I am only 60 but have become innaccurate as hell lately.

Anyway, it was not dry it was not super moist, I did not spritz and I crutched it at about 4 hours 180 degrees.. It was about 4 lbs and it was on 6 hours, I pulled it to early at 192, probe was ok but not super soft. The meat was not stringy like most butts I have cooked, it was solid, like a loin roast, but it was dark meat. On the plate, everyone went back a second time, it was good and tasty. Only real negative was skin being leathery, not soft, not bark. I did increase temp as cook went. 3 hours 245, 2 hours 265, 2 hours 275

Thanks for replies and help, stay safe at home.

P.S. I predict a corona baby boom with all these people at home.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back