Stampede About to buy one...do you regret not getting the RT-700

Glad you brought that one back into focus. If anyone takes a look at it, and has sufficient comprehension to evaluate the hard data there, the final post in that thread is actual field measurement of the Bull that shows the lid is likely 14ga before the powder coat. Yet a few posts above that one a member states that RT told him the "official" answer that the lid was 8 ga. That's a HUGE error, thus to my point that the RT CS team has NO credibility on this subject matter. Again, I don't believe they are liars, they just don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Last edited:
That's a HUGE error, thus to my point that the RT CS team has NO credibility on this subject matter. Again, I don't believe they are liars, they just don't know what the hell they're talking about.
It's pretty common for CS team members to be uneducated about the products they are supporting for many reasons. I would hazard a guess that Rec Tec's CS team is HUGE, due to the amount of grills they sell and their popularity. It's rather difficult to completely train a large work force properly and it takes time for new employees to become up to speed and proficient. Not to mention trying to teach folks about technical and or engineering aspects, etc. which might not be in their wheelhouse. Perhaps Rec Tec is a victim of their own success!

I guess I may look at this from a different prospective, when I smoke, I normally(except for steaks) load up the grill with whichever meat I am smoking that day! My wife then splits everything into packages for two and uses our Foodsaver prior to putting them in the freezer. When we are ready to use, she lets them thaw out and without opening the foodsaver bag puts them in boiling water for ten minutes and you have a meal that tastes as good as if it just came off the grill! A lot of times she will throw in sweetcorn, which also takes ten minutes, and you have a complete easily prepared meal! So I am very glad I went with the 700!

I went with the 590 because I could not justify getting the 700. I just do not need that much space to cook. I think the 590 can easily cook enough at once for 4-6 people (more depending on what you cook). It's my wife and myself and occasionally a couple of friends or family. Hope this helps!

So......I get a little geeky about stuff that some don't think is important...…..and mostly they're correct. On the grate size thing, the 590 is actually fraction of an inch deeper than the 700, but 6 inches narrower. I love the pic @BethV showed above. You can feed a lot of folks from the 590. Want to see it another way? Cut out a piece of cardboard or butcher paper, 6"x19.5" and lay it on the table. Now envision how many extra slabs of ribs, or 8# butts, or briskets you can fit in that space that might actually take 3-5 burgers depending on how big/small you make them. Yeah, extra real estate is nice if you need it, but the reality is thin. As for the thicker material argument I don't buy that as pretty near every dimension that RT tech has given members who've reported here has been wrong by actual measurement here in the field. I don't think they train their people well in metal gauge knowledge that isn't common interest in the general world. Some have been told the body of the Bull is all 304 stainless............…..it's not, it's 430. Not bad, just not as good. It's stated above that the warrantee on the Bull is double the Stampede, no only half again more...………..I only mention that to show how misinformation gets out there easily. It's a genuine plus for the 700, but since most of the components are nearly the same either actually or very similarly, it's a low risk deal.

The 700 does have more brag and cool factor, looks more like a smoker than just a grill. If that's you thing, easy choice. In the end I took the 590 because it had a smaller footprint, particularly to the back. Having the pellet bin on the back would have eaten up aisle, path, whatever you want to call it, space on the patio. Small thing, but for my situation I put value on it and didn't feel like I either gave up anything, nor would have gained enough extra. But then, I've got 11 cookers, so I'm way off the normal scale.

Can't say it any better than that.

I have 6 cookers at this home. I don't miss having the additional space of the Bull at all vs my RT590.

Last edited:
Hey guys, just joined and I'm about to purchase one of the Rec Tecs. From my research they seem to get the best reviews out of all the pellet smokers within this price range. I'm coming from a Weber genesis (which I've sold). I still have my WSM and PK Grill. Debating between the 590 and 700. I would probably do better size wise with the 590 since it is mainly the wife, daughter and myself. Sometimes have small parties etc where I will need to cook more. I really like the look of the 700 better with the smokestack. Do any of you that have the 590 regret not getting the 700, and if so why?

Thanks!
If you can afford the additional cost, get the 700. I bought the original Trailblazer (RT340) and love it. Then I added the Stampede to my arsenal so I could have extra space for cooking sides while smoking on the Stampede. RecTecs are like boats: once you have one, you want the next bigger one. I really enjoy my two...and I'll probably get the Bullseye as soon as it is back on the market.
Randee

If you can afford the additional cost, get the 700. I bought the original Trailblazer (RT340) and love it. Then I added the Stampede to my arsenal so I could have extra space for cooking sides while smoking on the Stampede. RecTecs are like boats: once you have one, you want the next bigger one. I really enjoy my two...and I'll probably get the Bullseye as soon as it is back on the market.
Randee
Awesome........Definitely! :D

Thinking about picking up the RT-340 Trailblazer so I can take the Rec Tec love on the road a little easier than the Bull!

Last edited:
I was on the fence between both, opted for the 590 because the size is more then enough for my family. I have yet to max it out as far as cooks, so I'm glad i went with the 590. Also enabled me to splurge on accessories, comp cart, shelf, all the gadgets. There all fantastic grills, i just sealed my lid and i think i love it more!
You won’t go wrong either way

My only regret not buying to RT700 was not buying one soon enough. I returned a couple of traegers because they sucked. I absolutely love my BULL

I just bought mine a few days ago went with the 590 I did not care for the hopper on rear

I have the RT-590. It's just me and my husband and we do have a large grill we use for regular grilling. I picked this size because it had a nice footprint. After discovering I really love cooking on this, I wondered if I should have maybe gotten the RT-700. I watched an Instagram Q & A with Rec Tec and that question came up. What I got out of it was that the Bull is more "manly" if you know what I mean. It's a buffed out, cool looking smoker. The grate area is not that much bigger. I think they said like 6 inches bigger. But a lot of people like the way it looks.

I was trying to decide if I give my 590 to the kids and get the 700 or just keep what I have. My rational for keeping what I have is that I have yet to be hindered by the size of the grill. It has supported all the big cooks I have had. I've done three ribs and a brisket on it at the same time. And I have added 6 extra shelves for my beef jerky by purchasing jerky racks. I also bought a small additional shelf that goes across the back of the grates for when I need it (so far I have not needed it).

Basically, there is nothing I have yet to be able to do on this size grill. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably get the RT-700, just for the reason that it is so cool to look at, and is a slightly bigger grill. But so far (new since March), I love my RT-590 and have had no problems other than a sketchy probe that needs to be wriggled around to work. And Rec Tec took care of that in a jiffy.
The Bull is awesome! With the competition Cart is even better! Give the 590 to the kids so they can cook for you when you visit and the Bull for you to cook for all! Win Win!
I can’t say enough about my Bull...gonna try some jerky tomorrow when the london broil is ready!

Attachments

• 9752E8B0-613D-47FC-A991-462B73805903.jpeg
    9752E8B0-613D-47FC-A991-462B73805903.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 90
The Bull is awesome! With the competition Cart is even better! Give the 590 to the kids so they can cook for you when you visit and the Bull for you to cook for all! Win Win!
I can’t say enough about my Bull...gonna try some jerky tomorrow when the london broil is ready!
Ha Ha!! Might do that one day.

We cooked for 11 people today on the Stampede and still had room on the grill. I like the side hopper and use it for a shelf.
I am glad I got the Stampede. We are empty nesters and some times cook for a crowd when our family is all here. I find it more important to have a second grill for cooking sides, etc at a different temperature. I use my BGE for that.

My son has the Bull and he loves it but that is the only grill he has.
You can't go wrong with either one.

So......I get a little geeky about stuff that some don't think is important...…..and mostly they're correct. On the grate size thing, the 590 is actually fraction of an inch deeper than the 700, but 6 inches narrower. I love the pic @BethV showed above. You can feed a lot of folks from the 590. Want to see it another way? Cut out a piece of cardboard or butcher paper, 6"x19.5" and lay it on the table. Now envision how many extra slabs of ribs, or 8# butts, or briskets you can fit in that space that might actually take 3-5 burgers depending on how big/small you make them. Yeah, extra real estate is nice if you need it, but the reality is thin. As for the thicker material argument I don't buy that as pretty near every dimension that RT tech has given members who've reported here has been wrong by actual measurement here in the field. I don't think they train their people well in metal gauge knowledge that isn't common interest in the general world. Some have been told the body of the Bull is all 304 stainless............…..it's not, it's 430. Not bad, just not as good. It's stated above that the warrantee on the Bull is double the Stampede, no only half again more...………..I only mention that to show how misinformation gets out there easily. It's a genuine plus for the 700, but since most of the components are nearly the same either actually or very similarly, it's a low risk deal.

The 700 does have more brag and cool factor, looks more like a smoker than just a grill. If that's you thing, easy choice. In the end I took the 590 because it had a smaller footprint, particularly to the back. Having the pellet bin on the back would have eaten up aisle, path, whatever you want to call it, space on the patio. Small thing, but for my situation I put value on it and didn't feel like I either gave up anything, nor would have gained enough extra. But then, I've got 11 cookers, so I'm way off the normal scale.
I got the 700 not because of the cool factor but the size. I used big green eggs. Had 3. One small and 2 larges. I sold one of my larges. To help fund my pellet grill. For me the eggs are amazing but limited on real estate. So for the wife and I not much the egg can’t handle but when we have family and friends over I’m tending 2 eggs.

now that I have had my 700 for a few weeks I’m starting to fall in love with it. Done pork butts, ribs, chicken thighs, turkey tenderloins, etc. I have to admit the ease of use is really something. My eggs will be way more efficient in the Midwest winters but I’m loving using the RT now. I haven’t filled it yet and I’ll never have to worry about it. My egg I’ve filled both larges and wished I had more room a few times. Even both eggs combined have less real estate Then the 700.

but that’s my situation, not yours. I originally ordered the camp chef woodwind WiFi 36. Before placing the order we went down to the local Acehardware store that carries Tragers and Weber pellet grills. The Weber has a 24 inch and a 36 inch model. I wanted to compare sizes there because no one local to me carried camp chef to look at in person. Anyhow my wife actually talked me into the larger for the above reasons I talked about. Better to have it and not needed then the other way around.
Anyhow, I canceled after reading about Rec tec. Stainless was a huge push for me. Yes the cooking chamber is 403 Chinese stainless but the controller shelf is 304 as well as all the internals. Even the hardware is stainless. I have a couple stainless tables next to my eggs and my new 700 and they are also 403 stainless. Bought a few years ago. No rust as of today. So I’m ok with that.

if you have an opportunity to shop other brands in person that my help give you a visual on what you want and need in size.

No regrets for me... The Stampede is plenty big enough and I love it!

20 lbs of pork and still room for more. ?

RECTEC PORK FEST.jpg

Speaking of toys, I don't know about some of you guys but I can't stop thinking about Masterbuilt's Gravity Series charcoal unit :rolleyes:
I briefly looked at those too but my advice get a kamodo grill like a big green egg over the master built. i can do a 18+ hour smoke On a single load of lump, (maybe 6 pounds Of charcoal?) and still have enough lump to burn off the grates And dry out the smoker. On the master built you wont get a pork butt done on a 20 pound load and you will have to deal with jams, motors and rusting steel.

That said, I love my eggs but I’m also loving my new 700...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back