Stampede About to buy one...do you regret not getting the RT-700

My thoughts? You're a brave man.

Yeah, I've got four other charcoal burners, though I'm a lump guy who doesn't care for briquettes. I've got a Barrel House Cooker which is a fun little unit, very much like the Pit Barrel Cooker (which seems to have a cult like following) only I think better because it's easier to reload for longer cooks, has better cool touch handles, has slightly better temp management and can function as a grill in addition to the smoker function right out of the box without the mods needed for the PBC. BTW, the owner of PBC recently bought BHC so there's likely a revised PBC in the not too distant future. While I like the BHC it's for sale now too, the reason why is told later.

I've got a big, fancy all 304 stainless cooker for large cook occasions (recently did a wild boar piglet). I call it the Big Silver Box. It's a Cajun Grills Preaux. Lots of surface area, nice adjustment of fire height to grate level, and manages temps very well. Dual zone capability and smokes well. Very good performer overall that isn't suited for small cooks for the bride and myself.

I just got a medium size grill from Oklahoma Joe's called the Judge. I haven't done a first cook on it yet, just the burn in mambo. I've already started with a few mods based on my preferences, I like a combo grill and smoker capability and this thing is more aimed at grillers. As such it had a lot of places for air to leak and mess up the temp control from my point of view/beliefs. I've sealed the seams/openings, modified the side air intake, and put sealing strips around the lid and firebox front door. I got it primarily because of the height adjustable fire pan (because that feature is one of my favorites from the Preaux), and for the ease of refueling for longer cooks. Also, it's sized so that wood splits are an option that might be fun to play with. Kind of a flyer deal, but with promise.

This last guy turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. This is, for now, my go to cooker for bbq/smoker; an Oklahoma Joe's Bronco. It's a vertical smoker that converts easily to a charcoal grill. Lots of variables possible for set ups to manipulate smoke and/or fire. You can smoke from hangers or flat on the grate. You can zone cook or sear. The lid has an excellent seal, and the temp controls with the inlet and exhaust are very responsive and effective. The only mod I did was the seal the two piece barrel with rtv when I assembled it. That's it, it's a tight box. Does everything the PBC/BHC folks love to brag about, only better......and with a wide range of very controllable temps. With two grates it can take a lot more food than most 18" cookers can, and it works great. At $300 it's the most bang for the buck in charcoal cookers as far as I'm concerned. And while OJ like to pretend they have a MAP program, Wally World will have an "inventory clearance" sale on them once or twice a year at $184...……...a double steal of a deal. Yeah, I'm really pumped on this guy. Tidy size, charcoal/wood flavoring, easy to set up, outstanding temp control (number one feature on my list), and affordable. Good companion for the RT for those times when you want to be more involved in shaping the flavor of the product.

I do have a stick burner of sorts as well, an EcoQue Gen 3 wood fired oven/smoker. This would be a whole different conversation, let's just say I like it cause I've got eclectic tastes (nice euphemism eh?).

Arncha glad ya asked? :D

UB,
Sorta glad.... ;)
I had to go look up each of those. Watched some vids too. I had actually considered a Cajun Grills Preaux. Just was out of my budget for the next grill. Also gave the Ranch Kettle some thought. Really too much for 90% of what I do. A regular size kettle is pretty versatile. Especially with a Sear & Smoke.

Last edited:
UB,
Sorta glad.... ;)
I had to go look up each of those. Watched some vids too. I had actually considered a Cajun Grills Preaux. Just was out of my budget for the next grill. Also gave the Ranch Kettle some thought. Really too much for 90% of what I do. A regular size kettle is pretty versatile. Especially with a Sear & Smoke.

:ROFLMAO: A little tip on the Preaux for a friendlier price, over on ebay, bbqislandstore has them discounted a few hundred and has the "make offer" button where they were willing to take of another few.

The Weber kettles are a staple, and certainly have a lot of accessories available, and folks do get a lot of good q out of them. I'll still take the Bronco though for a value purchase since it doesn't need an SnS to do what that do. That said, I'm doing wings on the Bronco tonight with the aid of a Vortex clone.

Just for you Roanie man, here's the vortex setup on the Bronco, and the wings shortly before they came off
bronco vortex wing 01.jpg
bronco vortex wing 03.jpg
bronco vortex wing 03.jpg

UB,
I'm really not liking what I'm seeing there. Obviously, you forgot to put enough on for me.

And now I see you're a closet charcoal man. LOL. I'm getting ready to light some lump mesquite for a ribeye in a bit.

Portion control...…………………..to help maintain my Greek god like body...……... :oops: :ROFLMAO:

Enjoy that ribeye, one of my favorite cuts too.

Speaking of toys, I don't know about some of you guys but I can't stop thinking about Masterbuilt's Gravity Series charcoal unit :rolleyes:

Ah...……….the Siren's Song...…….

Well, unless the Borg is your thing, then, Resistance is Futile...………….

Speaking of toys, I don't know about some of you guys but I can't stop thinking about Masterbuilt's Gravity Series charcoal unit :rolleyes:
I checked them out when I bought some pellets up at BBQ HQ. Looks like a neat idea. Waiting to hear reviews. As you might guess, its not a build quality like a RT.

A 590 and a Bullseye together is not a bad combo. I went with the 700 and Bullseye for just my wife and I. I am glad I did. I discovered it is more efficient to cook two or three butts or briskets at a time than just one at a time. Those are all vacuum sealed and frozen for quick dinners later that are superb to restaurants, and didn't have to cook each one separately, or use three times the pellets to do so.

I also liked the SS and thicker material of the 700 being out on my deck, and the longer warranty. Two years in and still like new regarding any rust found anywhere. Beyond that, there is more room to move stuff or rotate stuff around for a better experience overall. You only really get the area above the drip tray...Not the entire grate area to cook on.

Lastly, my wife likes to toss her side dishes on as well to prevent indoor stove heat and wasted electricity. The extra room comes in real handy for that. I can also use two mats instead of one like with the 590 for peppers, a full pack of bacon, etc.

Last edited:
Hey guys, just joined and I'm about to purchase one of the Rec Tecs. From my research they seem to get the best reviews out of all the pellet smokers within this price range. I'm coming from a Weber genesis (which I've sold). I still have my WSM and PK Grill. Debating between the 590 and 700. I would probably do better size wise with the 590 since it is mainly the wife, daughter and myself. Sometimes have small parties etc where I will need to cook more. I really like the look of the 700 better with the smokestack. Do any of you that have the 590 regret not getting the 700, and if so why?

Thanks!
Go big or go home! BFG 2500 owner here and love it! Was about to buy the 700 and decided to go all out and I'm glad I did. The BFG is awesome

So how much of a heavier gauge is the 700 supposedly built from?
I use to have the specs and Rec Tec used to list them but as far as I can remember the 700 is thicker by 2 to 4 gauge sizes. Both have thinner barrels than the lids. I really don't think it makes a whole lot of deference due to the different designs of the grills.

Last edited:
So I debated the 590/700 and even the 2500. I ended up going with the 700 because it was the happy medium for me. It was small enough for me to use for just me, or me and my family, but it was still big enough with shelves and such to do it when I have the guys or other people over. I have filled mine. Day one I smoked 6 racks of ribs and 3 briskets, No sweat on any of it.

I also liked that the hopper size of the 700 was "one bag". But other peoples concerns about the accessories running up the price are valid. I don't even know how much I am into mine. but I am pretty sure it is more than my first car. but it is SOOO worth it, and all of my friends agree.

I have had mine for nearly a year. It was delivered July 1/2 Last year. Just in time for a 4th of July event.

I am in NH so sales Tax did not play into the cost for me at all.

Good luck in your search! *Wispers* Buy the 700

So I debated the 590/700 and even the 2500. I ended up going with the 700 because it was the happy medium for me. It was small enough for me to use for just me, or me and my family, but it was still big enough with shelves and such to do it when I have the guys or other people over. I have filled mine. Day one I smoked 6 racks of ribs and 3 briskets, No sweat on any of it.

I also liked that the hopper size of the 700 was "one bag". But other peoples concerns about the accessories running up the price are valid. I don't even know how much I am into mine. but I am pretty sure it is more than my first car. but it is SOOO worth it, and all of my friends agree.

I have had mine for nearly a year. It was delivered July 1/2 Last year. Just in time for a 4th of July event.

I am in NH so sales Tax did not play into the cost for me at all.

Good luck in your search! *Wispers* Buy the 700
I can't remember if the RT2500 was available when I was originally looking for a pellet smoker but spent many hours deciding on the RT590 or RT700 and went with the RT700 Bull last July too, it's just the two of us empty nesters but the RT 700 bull had lots more to offer for not a lot of extra $$$.

I have a 590. I have done as many as 3 racks of St Louis ribs without cutting down. I also have a rib rack that holds them vertically. This allows me to do up to 6 racks in half the space on the main rack.

I have done 2 10 lb pork butts and 2 racks in a single cook. It has plenty of space if you get creative. I do however wish I spent the extra 300. I don’t like the smallshelf for the 590 and wish the large shelf would fit. I would like to do a bigger cook sometime.

the wife keeps telling me to upgrade to the BFG. We’ll see.

Hey guys, just joined and I'm about to purchase one of the Rec Tecs. From my research they seem to get the best reviews out of all the pellet smokers within this price range. I'm coming from a Weber genesis (which I've sold). I still have my WSM and PK Grill. Debating between the 590 and 700. I would probably do better size wise with the 590 since it is mainly the wife, daughter and myself. Sometimes have small parties etc where I will need to cook more. I really like the look of the 700 better with the smokestack. Do any of you that have the 590 regret not getting the 700, and if so why?

Thanks!
Well 2 weeks ago I was pondering the same dilemma why the hell pay $300 more for the 700 it's only @6 inches longer what in the world do I need a frickin light in it for
My new grill came in yesterday and yes I got the 700 built it in the rain seasoned it woke at 5 this morning turn on that frickin light smoked wings n a brisket at the same time...I'm glad I went with the 700 ABSOLUTELY love this beast

Well 2 weeks ago I was pondering the same dilemma why the hell pay $300 more for the 700 it's only @6 inches longer what in the world do I need a frickin light in it for
My new grill came in yesterday and yes I got the 700 built it in the rain seasoned it woke at 5 this morning turn on that frickin light smoked wings n a brisket at the same time...I'm glad I went with the 700 ABSOLUTELY love this beast
6 inches, it matters.(y)????♂?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back