Additional Grilling Equipment

Macguy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Just curious if anyone has the Pit Barrel Smoker here on the forum. I am considering getting one to compliment my cook for 4th of July party and to use when a hurricane may knock out our power (we were spared Dorian's wraith last week, thankfully, but many others were not).

It sounds like a compact unit and seems to have a large following like the REC TEC equipment and would be useful to hang some extra meat for the larger parties if the Bull did not have enough room.

Thanks!

If you just looking for something that is not powered but great there are lots of options. PBC is one, standard weber grill another. Several of us also have kamado style grills and for me it gets just as much use if not more then the 700. The kamado is going to be more but its a true jack of all trades and can do just about anything.

I'll go you one better on the PBC following, it's almost cult like in some circles.:)

I've got a Barrel House Cooker that I chose after reading an awful lot of folks who are loyal PBC owners talk about various kludges they've made and certain "quirks" they have just learned to tolerate/work around. The BHC solves a number of those, notably the fuel reload ease on longer cooks, temp stability, hot handles, raising the fuel basket for use as a grille, and clearance for hanging using the H rack rather than the rebar things. Lid fit might be another plus though that seems to be an irregular complaint on PBC. The legal "battle" and subsequent settlement between the two was much ado about nothing, but cultists see it differently.

There is a learning curve (as happens with nearly any piece of equipment) but you get to eat your mistakes if they aren't too ruined. Frankly I don't use mine much as it's more fiddly than the RT or the gas grill, and doesn't offer any significant improvement over either of those in product outcome. It would be a good supplemental for larger cooks once you have methodology dialed in, and the ability to cook without power need could be useful. The question there is, how often is that really a necessity. The suggestion to evaluate some of the Weber products is a good one as they offer some additional versatility and have a ton of aftermarket support that the small barrels don't come close to.

Thanks for the input and the possible issues - I was considering the kamado style one and the price is higher, really like the one Grilla Grills sells. May have to rethink the whole idea again - this will probably turn into a 6 month affair just like the Bull (and drive my wife nuts).

Until this moment, I had never heard of the BHC but I do have a PBC. I would miss it if it weren't a part of my arsenal but sometimes I avoid it because of the resulting taste since it's designed for the juices to drip on the hot coals - and that definitely changes the flavor of my food. And sometimes I fire it up just for that flavor. But I also enjoy using my Weber WSM's and with third party offerings meat can be hung in these, too, if desired. If I'm in the mood to smoke at 250 it's not going to happen with the PBC (though maybe others with a hack or mod can do so).

PS: I read a recent email from PBC that left me wondering if they plan to introduce a new model, or next generation of their PBC in January.

PS: I read a recent email from PBC that left me wondering if they plan to introduce a new model, or next generation of their PBC in January.
Hadn't heard about any new models, but could be. Did hear they're raising the price $50 at new year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back