Any One Have your Burner Stop while the Auger Keeps Feeding Pellets?

Sscottfitz

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
Soooooo, I'm about 3.5 hrs into what is (was) going to be a 11~12 hour burn (Boston butt), and all of a sudden my temps plunge.....unexplainable as the grill was still closed, auger sounded like it was moving, etc. Long story short, after the only successful call to Rec Tec (as of this note.....) I was advised to try to "jiggle the pellet box" to clear any possible pellet dams, which I did, but temps continued dropping........ So as any good Info Systems Engineer knows, you turn the system off and back on again.....and THAT is when it got exciting........ Anyway, my diagnosis is that the auger was still feeding pellets into and out of the firebox (see the attached pictures and video....) when I reset the system, the firebox/burner came back on, and of course it's now literally buried in a pile of pellets..........now THAT was some smoke. Waiting for the lower grill to cool off so I can clean out the unspent pellets and ash around the firebox while waiting for the Rec Tec bubbas to get back to me......... Hoping this was just an anomaly......OBTW, the Boston Butt is now in the oven....... :( Note: Think the Rec Tec guys have out grown their support system, have been trying to get a call into them for over an hour with no luck.......hopefully they'll get my e-mail........

Attachments

• All Photos - 1 of 1 (1).jpeg
    All Photos - 1 of 1 (1).jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 284
  • All Photos - 1 of 1.mov
    12.3 MB
I’ve had it happen with my traeger, it seems the side hopper didn’t keep the pellets from funneling and getting voids in the auger. When the temp drops the fire might go out but the auger is still feeding. I thought however these units would reignite when it had a flame out situation.

I’ve had it happen with my traeger, it seems the side hopper didn’t keep the pellets from funneling and getting voids in the auger. When the temp drops the fire might go out but the auger is still feeding. I thought however these units would reignite when it had a flame out situation.
I'm very new with Pellet Grills, so for me this is "discovery learning", but I've cleaned out the burner, and lower grill chamber, re-primed the burner, and hopefully in about 10 min, I'll transfer by Butt back into the Trailblazer, just want to make sure she's back to holding temps again........ Hoping this was just a "glitch" and doesn't repeat itself.......

Keep an eye on your hopper and if the pellets look like a hole is developing, tap on the side or use something to move the pellets down

Any update?
Sort of...….. I've never gotten any follow-up from my queries to Rec Tec (to date) but maybe that is simply a unrealistic expectation on my part. I was able to continue this cook after I cleaned out the excess pellets in the bottom area of the grill. Once I restarted the grill, everything seem to return to normal ops. I will say until I successfully execute a few more long smokes, my "trust" in the system will be "tentative", meaning I'll be keeping a very close eye on thing.....

I wish RecTec would get back with you. I thought they were a responsive company from what I read before my purchase. I have had a single overshoot when taken to 350 from 180. Now it seems to track well.

Thanks, and yeah, I've been a little disappointed.....my guess is the demand for support has outgrown their ability to provide support. Plus, since I was able to address the problem on my own, and other than the follow-up e-mail, I've not been "bugging them" for a response - so I've not really been a "squeaky wheel". I still like this grill, and will remain vigilant when I operate it. On the plus side, it was the Rec Tec phone app that actually alerted me to the problem, so that piece seem to work as intended...…… Thanks again for the note.

Thanks, and yeah, I've been a little disappointed.....my guess is the demand for support has outgrown their ability to provide support. Plus, since I was able to address the problem on my own, and other than the follow-up e-mail, I've not been "bugging them" for a response - so I've not really been a "squeaky wheel". I still like this grill, and will remain vigilant when I operate it. On the plus side, it was the Rec Tec phone app that actually alerted me to the problem, so that piece seem to work as intended...…… Thanks again for the note.
@Sscottfitz, how goes it? Did RT get back with you?

Thanks, it goes well. Never heard back from RT, and I've not re-engaged with them either. I've done several sessions since that issue, and it hasn't replicated itself, so I'm hoping it was a "one off" event. Moving forward......<grin>
Glad she is doing well now.

I had that happen once, the app alerted me to dropping temps. I looked in hopper and saw the pellets here hung up. I pushed them around and grill kept right on cooking. That's where the app comes in handy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back