Any Stampede Owners Near Madison WI/ South Central WI?

The issue is the rear vents allow wind to blow directly into to the grill, while it will mostly blow over the top of a chimney. On my Napoleon propane grille the wind will blow in through the back of the "roll back" lid and out under the front vents, which has caused problems to the point that I usually don't bother trying to grill on it when it's windy. My Stampede hasn't had a serious issue yet, but I would think a smokestack would perform better if you can't have the back of the grill out of the wind.

Last edited:
@Luscombe, since you've had the kamados for awhile I suspect you've built up a fair amount of experience across a variety of conditions. You've likely been involved in conversations, online or otherwise, and often seen people make comments about "problems" or "situations" that in your personal similar experience don't compute. You may even have seen folks who are contemplating a kamado go on and on about things they imagine or "have seen referenced" that cause them to be unduly concerned based on your actual experience. They may even allow as how they are going to modify the kamado once they buy it because ……..(fill in the blank), even though they've never used one to know if it's necessary. Not to undermine what has been said above (though some of it ignores/unaware of the same commentary earlier in this thread). On the plus side, either unit will very likely satisfy, even without mods, so your risk level is very low.

The issue is the rear vents allow wind to blow directly into to the grill, while it will mostly blow over the top of a chimney. On my Napoleon propane grille the wind will blow in through the back of the "roll back" lid and out under the front vents, which has caused problems to the point that I usually don't bother trying to grill on it when it's windy. My Stampede hasn't had a serious issue yet, but I would think a smokestack would perform better if you can't have the back of the grill out of the wind.

Glad to hear that you have also had no problems.

As for myself, I have never had any issue whatsoever maintaining temps in my Stampede in frigid Pennsylvania.

I use no blanket, and know going in that more fuel will be required to maintain temps, but my PID controller will take care of that and pellets are cheap. I have gotten Lumberjack MHC for as cheap as $4.99/20lb bag.

@Luscombe, since you've had the kamados for awhile I suspect you've built up a fair amount of experience across a variety of conditions. You've likely been involved in conversations, online or otherwise, and often seen people make comments about "problems" or "situations" that in your personal similar experience don't compute. You may even have seen folks who are contemplating a kamado go on and on about things they imagine or "have seen referenced" that cause them to be unduly concerned based on your actual experience. They may even allow as how they are going to modify the kamado once they buy it because ……..(fill in the blank), even though they've never used one to know if it's necessary. Not to undermine what has been said above (though some of it ignores/unaware of the same commentary earlier in this thread). On the plus side, either unit will very likely satisfy, even without mods, so your risk level is very low.

I have to agree here. Though I have the available all weather vents for my Stampede, I got them to keep blowing rain out, as opposed to "cold wind".

I remove and attach them as needed. Right now, they're off. If I anticipate rain during a cook, they go on.

I have utmost confidence in the PID controller to keep my temps where I set them in cold, yes even freezing weather. Freezing weather of course being below, and even well below 32°F. I've smoked and grilled in such weather, and much colder during the football season on my Stampede with no issues.

I have no worries about cold wind entering my Stampede through it's vents during a cook.

Personally, because of the PID controller and it's accuracy, the relative inexpensive fuel source ie pellets, and a 30lb hopper, well, the comparison of 3 vents vs a smokestack in cold weather, would not enter heavily into my decision making process when deciding between the two. It may to others and I do understand that.

However required footprint on the deck or patio vs available space, overall grilling space, available grilling space with optional cooking shelves, availability of storage shelves and availability of cold weather blankets, and warranty length, these things would influence my decision to a greater extent.

Original poster if this is going to come down to "smokestack vs vents", well then I would argue in favor of the smoke stack not from the standpoint of "cold air" getting in, but more from the standpoint of blowing rain potentially getting in and into your cooking chamber or onto your food.

Cold air, for reasons stated above, I can deal with a lot easier than I can water.

If you'll be smoking overnight, and rain might roll in during the cook, well then the Stampede is going to benefit from the all weather vents accessory vs the open vertical vents.

You won't need, or you're less likely to need anything extra with the Bull as it has the smoke stack which is at the end of the cooker and above the grease drain.

Last edited:
Thanks,
I appreciate your insights and experience with your Stampede in the cold and wind. I completely understand the heat loss and fuel burn. The most important thing about your comments was your actual experience. It tells me that either model will perform ok in those conditions.

I'm going to take some careful measurements tonight. Deck area is a consideration. It is elevated and can get windy. I think the grill area on the Stampede is all we need and the smaller footprint would be a plus.

I would like to thank all of you for your thoughtful comments and suggestions. I have tried not to overthink this but failed spectacularly at that. I am glad I asked the questions I did as I learned much from you.

I just placed my order and feel like I can now relax and wait in anticipation.

I bought a Stampede, Economy Pkg and three vent covers and two grill screen mats for veggies & such.

The physical size of the Stampede fits on my deck better than the Bull. The Bull is oversized for the deck and I really do not need the extra grilling surface based upon the way I have been grilling and smoking for the last 15 years and our current lifestyle. If the Stampede and my BGE's can't handle the load then I may have an addiction............... Just saying.

Special thanks to Slomotionque and unclebob for their comments. The comment about the rock steady PID on the Stampede and it's ability to accommodate cold and windy conditions carried the day.

Now, considering a brisket as my first cook....

I would like to thank all of you for your thoughtful comments and suggestions. I have tried not to overthink this but failed spectacularly at that. I am glad I asked the questions I did as I learned much from you.

I just placed my order and feel like I can now relax and wait in anticipation.

I bought a Stampede, Economy Pkg and three vent covers and two grill screen mats for veggies & such.

The physical size of the Stampede fits on my deck better than the Bull. The Bull is oversized for the deck and I really do not need the extra grilling surface based upon the way I have been grilling and smoking for the last 15 years and our current lifestyle. If the Stampede and my BGE's can't handle the load then I may have an addiction............... Just saying.

Special thanks to Slomotionque and unclebob for their comments. The comment about the rock steady PID on the Stampede and it's ability to accommodate cold and windy conditions carried the day.

Now, considering a brisket as my first cook....

Congrats Luscombe on a well thought out approach, taking into account available deck space, current available equipment, namely your BGEs, good cookers in their own right and which are in excellent shape and which you have become good at using, and taking into account the PID controller of the new unit that you are buying now. A controller which will give you rock solid temperature control.

You no doubt noticed, that all of the Rec Tec pellet grill offerings.........have the same controller.;)

So then that begs the question: "if that controller can be counted on to manage temps and hold steady in cold weather on a Rec Tec Bull, why wouldn't one be able to count on it to manage and maintain rock solid temps in a Rec Tec Stampede?"

It's the same controller.

You made a great decision.

You aren't buying a cheaper pellet grill, from one of these big box hardware stores or buyer's clubs, with a non PID controller in it with temps swinging 50° or more, either way, and that's on a "good" day, let alone a cold one.

No, you're buying a pellet grill with arguably the best controller in the business. So good that people with non Rec Tec grills have retrofit their cheaper grills with the Rec Tec PID controller.

So go out and buy that brisket. Sams has prime briskets on sale from time to time. It's ok to buy a brisket from them........but not a pellet grill.:D

Last edited:
Congrats Luscombe on a well thought out approach, taking into account available deck space, current available equipment, namely your BGEs, good cookers in their own right and which are in excellent shape and which you have become good at using, and taking into account the PID controller of the new unit that you are buying now. A controller which will give you rock solid temperature control.

You no doubt noticed, that all of the Rec Tec pellet grill offerings.........have the same controller.;)

So then that begs the question: " if that controller can be counted on to manage temps and hold steady in cold weather on a Rec Tec Bull, why wouldn't one be able to count on it to manage and maintain rock solid temps in a Rec Tec Stampede?"

It's the same controller.

You made a great decision.

You aren't buying a cheaper pellet grill, from one of these big box hardware stores or buyer's clubs, with a non PID controller in it with temps swinging 50° or more, either way, and that's on a "good" day, let alone a cold one.

No, you're buying a pellet grill with arguably the best controller in the business.

You're going to be fine. No go out and buy that brisket. Sams has prime briskets on sale from time to time. It's ok to buy a brisket from them........but not a pellet grill.
We live 1/2 mile from a local beef farmer, grass-fed, grain finished, who has a small retail shop in their barn. Just ordered a 1/4 beef. Will pick it up October 5th. Noticed they had some briskets in the freezer sections.....Just saying. Costco meat is good but I like to support local businesses and this beef is very tasty.

Yeah, I knew the controllers were the same but had not really processed that until I read your post. Then it was, it's the same innards, just a different form factor. Decision made.
I don't think I will need a front shelf if I position the grill at 90 degrees to the Large BGE. I can use the granite top in between the Eggs. When finished grilling the Stampede will be stored against the house in a corner not seen in the photo. The Bull would not fit there as inconspicuously. The Stampede is the right-size solution for us.

I will pick up a welding blanket and make an insulated cover for when smoking in cold temperatures. This will be a fun journey.

Shhhhhhhh.... don't tell the guys that I cook with in the Eggfest in ATL that I bought a RecTec, I might get kicked off the team.

We live 1/2 mile from a local beef farmer, grass-fed, grain finished, who has a small retail shop in their barn. Just ordered a 1/4 beef. Will pick it up October 5th. Noticed they had some briskets in the freezer sections.....Just saying. Costco meat is good but I like to support local businesses and this beef is very tasty.

Yeah, I knew the controllers were the same but had not really processed that until I read your post. Then it was, it's the same innards, just a different form factor. Decision made.
I don't think I will need a front shelf if I position the grill at 90 degrees to the Large BGE. I can use the granite top in between the Eggs. When finished grilling the Stampede will be stored against the house in a corner not seen in the photo. The Bull would not fit there as inconspicuously. The Stampede is the right-size solution for us.

I will pick up a welding blanket and make an insulated cover for when smoking in cold temperatures. This will be a fun journey.

Shhhhhhhh.... don't tell the guys that I cook with in the Eggfest in ATL that I bought a RecTec, I might get kicked off the team.

Good on you for supporting your local businesses.

As to the guys in the Eggfest, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them also secretly own Rec Tecs in addition to their BGEs as part of their home armament.

The convenience and peace of mind that my Rec Tec Stampede gives me for overnight cooks, well that feature alone made it a bargain at it's asking price.

You and I are not the only Kamado owners who have figured that out. Some of the other Eggfest guys have no doubt figured that out too.

Last edited:
I know the 700 has a larger area, optional front shelf and optional smokebox. The smokebox is not a feature I desire and don't think even having the capability to add it is necessary. The front shelf on the 590 is an easy mod and I would do that myself. Based upon some posts here, there looks like sufficient grill space with the shelf to cook for 10-12 people. .....

Thanks in advance!
Feedback appreciated.

Well Luscombe, it looks like Rec Tec has just come out with a front shelf for the Stampede, if one wants it.

Also they've come out with a competition cart for the Stampede.

See the Rec Tec site for accessories for more info on these new items.

Well Luscombe, it looks like Rec Tec has just come out with a front shelf for the Stampede, if one wants it.

Also they've come out with a competition cart for the Stampede.

See the Rec Tec site for accessories for more info on these new items.
Yeah, the timing was kind of wonky for me. I just sent an email to see if it can be added to my order. Gonna test their customer service on day 2. :)

I just read this. I'm 45 minutes from Madison. Oh well, I think you'll be happy with the stampede, I am happy with mine.

Would still like to meet up with you.
Where are you located?
I called RecTec today to see if they would put the front shelf on my pallet with the Stampede. They said the Stampede was already on the truck going out the door. That is awesome customer service.

They shipped the shelf separately. It was over $100 so free shipping.

I debated building one. I know I could do it for less than $100 but I did not want another project. This ill bolt-on without needing to get the wood, router, sander, stain, clear coat, etc.. The convenience is worth it to me.

Hopefully, the package will arrive before next weekend.

:love::love::love:

Attachments

• 20190925_170036.jpg
    20190925_170036.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 86
  • 20190925_190201.jpg
    20190925_190201.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 75

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back