Anyone bake anything on the smoker yet?

ifican

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I have been telling myself to do this for far to long. And for whatever reason a smokey carrot cake with just the lightest sweet cream cheese frosting sounds just out of this world. This got me to thinking, if i seriously want to do this, whats the best way to impart a real smoke flavor into the cake? Just baking the cake in and of itself would not yield the flavor profile i am looking for. And I sure am going to give it much more thought but in general, has anyone given tried anything or given much thought to taking certain ingredients and first smoking them to get that flavor mixed throughout?

I can't speak to baking per say, but a number of years ago I cold smoked heavy cream and milk and made smoked vanilla ice cream. I used my upright Masterbuilt smoker with the cold smoker attachment to smoke a tray of heavy cream and another of whole milk, during the winter months. After it was smoked for about an hourish we made ice cream. Overall we liked it, but for whatever reason we never made it again.

I think you could cold smoke some of the ingredients and then bake it, similarly as I did with the ice cream? Probably going to be a lot of trial and error..

Overall take is like i expected, looking forward to giving some a try.

I put some cornbread on the smoker the other night when I was cooking something else. I make awesome cornbread, really I do but the cornbread that I took off the smoker was dry and it would not have been if I put it in the oven. All I can guess is that there are more vents and less steam and a much dryer heat.

I’ve done cornbread a couple of times now on my trailblazer, and cookies a couple of times. They have an almost imperceptible smoke flavor, so the next time I bake I’m going to try using the AMNPS to up the smoke flavor.

I haven’t noticed the smoker drying anything out, they come out perfect for me. Just almost no smoke taste due to the high temp.

I have done the following. Strawberry and Cream cobbler, Peach and Blueberry cobbler, Brownies, Chocolate chip cast iron cookies, smores and French toast (not sure if the last one is a dessert).

I have done bread but the smoke is very subtle only on the outside. In Steve Raichlins book Smoke, he recommends smoking the flour and water for an hour then letting it cool and using that. I have not tried it yet though.

Bourbon Caramel Cheesecake with a Pecan Sandie Crust.
RecTec makes a great convection oven!

thumbnail_0609190921a_resized.jpg

Thanks Mike and Buckeye! I had been wanting to do that for a few years. I have done two so far, the second one I used low for a while first for a little more smoke. The caramel is made with bourbon instead of water and no butter just heavy cream.
Here is a pic before the cook.

0608191828_resized.jpg

I have baked several things on my Bull- brownies, Mac & cheese, corn pudding, pizza, nachos, bread, twice baked potatoes, Chex mix, and carrots.
I use a smoke tube when I really want to drive smoke flavor into foods.
Some foods you can cook at a lower temp for longer times and that also helps the smoke flavor Like pizza I smoke for an hour at 250 and then the last 10 min I raise the temp to 300 and crisp it up.
I thinking smoking the individual ingredients would be fun to try but I haven’t done that other than a corned beef stew where I smoked everything before putting it altogether in a Dutch oven

I baked two pans of blueberry muffins last weekend. They were divine...

Can biscuits for the hot spot test. Then had biscuits and gravy.
Also a couple of pizzas on a pizza stone.

Your bakes sound like great things to try.

I've baked artisan bread many times.
3 c water
1.75 Tbs yeast
1.00 Tbs kosher salt
6.25 c bread flour

mix by hand and let rise covered a few hours. form into boules and bake at 400˚F for ~50 minutes

3881EE58-0B7A-4164-8AC3-53C0AD83D5A1_1_105_c.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back