Stampede Anyone close off back vents on 590 and add smoke stack / chimney???

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I've been thinking about closing off the three exhaust ports on the 590 and adding a chimney to the right rear. I am curious to know if anybody else has thought to do this or actually tried it? My theory is that this will reduce the amount of fuel used (slightly), increase the amount of smoke in the chamber, and reduce heat loss on cold windy days. I don't feel that air circulation will be an issue because pellet grills have fans. Any thoughts or advice are welcome.

I've been thinking about closing off the three exhaust ports on the 590 and adding a chimney to the right rear. I am curious to know if anybody else has thought to do this or actually tried it? My theory is that this will reduce the amount of fuel used (slightly), increase the amount of smoke in the chamber, and reduce heat loss on cold windy days. I don't feel that air circulation will be an issue because pellet grills have fans. Any thoughts or advice are welcome.

I know I've seen somebody make one and he may have even been selling them. I believe that was in the Facebook RecTec owners group. I'm not sure how you'd find him though, that was months ago. It channeled the three vents into a single center smokestack and looked pretty cool.

Probably the easiest thing would be to close them off and add a regular stack on the side as you mention. As for performance gains, I have no idea.

Oh man, I never thought to build an attachment that directs all three ports into a smoke stack. That would be awesome, too bad I have zero welding skills lol. My plan is to use some stainless steel plate attached with nut and bolt and then use a hole saw bit to open up the side for smoke stack attachment. I've looked on amazon and found quite a few smoke stacks. I'm thinking this will be the one I use if I do it. smoke stack

I've seen the smoke stack contraption on FB and it looks pretty cool. The person who did the design is Wesley Gegg, he's in most of the RecTec forums on FB and I believe he still sells them "made to order".

Here is a pic. of what it looks like.
72750526_10215938666644845_2231223063456776192_n.jpg

I've also seen another user close up the 3 ports in the rear and install a stack on the right (similar to that of the Bull). Can't seem to find that one... yet...

I've seen the smoke stack contraption on FB and it looks pretty cool. The person who did the design is Wesley Gegg, he's in most of the RecTec forums on FB and I believe he still sells them "made to order".

Here is a pic. of what it looks like.
View attachment 2118

I've also seen another user close up the 3 ports in the rear and install a stack on the right (similar to that of the Bull). Can't seem to find that one... yet...
It's different but I like it. Looks pretty cool!

Why do it? For cosmetic reasons? I am guessing you have changed the intended air flow exiting from the cooker. Don't know if that is a positive or negative result. How does it cook with this modification?

By closing up two of three vents it should keep heat better and keep in more smoke for a little longer. Should also lessen the effects of wind. I noticed on my last smoke, we had high wind gusts that day, temp would drop quite a bit with a gust of wind. Once the wind settled out, temps would come back up again

On my stick burner I ran the smoke stack inside the chamber down to grill level. Which I thought about doing with my 590. As well as closing up two of the three vents..

I am interested in this, can anyone direct me to to buy this!
Best Greg

Thanks to a friend with a Facebook account, I was finally able to connect with Wes and order one of his smoke stacks. It was speedily made and delivered, and even by myself, it only took 5 min to install. Having a second set of hands to help would be nice, but it's not mandatory. It's very well made and I love it! It not only makes my Stampede look better, but it helps with the wind that always seems to be blowing out on the end of this ridge. Wes is on the forum now; his screen name is wesgegg.

Thanks Wes!

Attachments

• Gegg Smokestack.jpg
    Gegg Smokestack.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 820
Thanks to a friend with a Facebook account, I was finally able to connect with Wes and order one of his smoke stacks. It was speedily made and delivered, and even by myself, it only took 5 min to install. Having a second set of hands to help would be nice, but it's not mandatory. It's very well made and I love it! It not only makes my Stampede look better, but it helps with the wind that always seems to be blowing out on the end of this ridge. Wes is on the forum now; his screen name is wesgegg.

Thanks Wes!
Do you have a cover and if so...how does the mod impact using the cover?
Thx

Thanks! Did this require any modifications to the back of the Stampede or does it mount in the existing vent holes?

No modification what-so-ever. If you have the RT vents, you'll have to pop them off, but after that, it's a straight forward install in the existing vent holes. One thing I did notice, AFTER I'd tightened all the screws down, is that I hadn't centered the smokestack vertically over the vent holes and the stack settled down a bit and blocked a small bit of the vents along the top. No biggie; loosen screws, center, retighten. Easily remedied.

This looks fantastic. This was one of the only negatives I could think of that was keeping me from the 590.

I tried to contact Wes on this forum, but, the private message kept getting flagged as solicitation. Maybe because I’m a new member. I might have to use my wife’s FB account to reach out.

Thanks!

This looks fantastic. This was one of the only negatives I could think of that was keeping me from the 590.

I tried to contact Wes on this forum, but, the private message kept getting flagged as solicitation. Maybe because I’m a new member. I might have to use my wife’s FB account to reach out.

Thanks!
I received you notification, let me know if you did not get the reply. I am new to this forum also. Mike260 turned me onto the forum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back