Anyone Done Kofta?

Mlmurrah

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
We lived in the Detroit area for 10 years, and there are many Middle Easter restaurants in the area. I grew to like Middle Eastern food, and one dish that I particularly like is kofta, which is seasoned ground beef, chicken or mutton cooked as a kebab. I am thinking of trying some on the Bull. I am curious if anyone else had cooke them?

Last edited:
Yes and no! I just cooked chicken kofte just the other night. I pan fried mine so not cooked on the grill. If you need a recipe, this is what I did. I cant remember where I got the recipe from however, so can't give credit.

1/2 cup tzatziki sauce (divided)
1/4 dried bread crumbs (I used panko)
1/4 cup grated onion
5 TBS chopped fresh mint (divided)
1 Tsp ground cumin
1/2 Tsp kosher salt
1/4 Tsp black pepper
1/8 Tsp ground red pepper
1 Lb ground chicken
2 Tsp Olive Oil

Pre-heat oven to 350. Combine 1/4 cup tzatziki, breadcrumbs, onion, 3 TBS mint, 1/2 Tsp salt, pepper, red pepper in a bowl and mix well. Add chicken and mix with hands to incorporate mix through the chicken. Shape chicken mixture into 8 patties (for the grill I would shape more like a log so they can go on a skewer, and no need to heat the oven). Heat a non-stick pan and add oil. Cook patties for 4 minutes the first side, and two minutes the second side. If your pan is oven safe put the pan in the oven for 5 minutes. If not, transfer the patties to a baking sheet and put in the oven for 5 minutes. Arrange cooked kofte on a plate and sprinkle with the remaining mint and serve with remaining tzatziki sauce.

As I mentioned, the consistency of the chicken is pretty good, and the rolled logs should stay on a skewer.

Hope this helps.

I do not have one handy as I used a store bought sauce when I made the kofte. I am sure if you searched for Tzatziki Sauce you will find many recipes for sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back