App Issue Poll Pre-questions

bfletcher

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
In the spirit of accurate data collection, can we ask questions here ahead of completing the poll?

My question: in the app's alarm settings, for Grill Range, the description reads "alarm will sound if grill temp deviation from the set point exceeds the value you select." Is this to be taken literal, in that if the pit temp falls below the set point no alarm will sound by design? I personally don't agree with this approach but if that's the design I don't want to answer incorrectly and skew the data.

Thx

On my DigiQ the pit temp isn't activated until it reaches the set temp. At that point if the deviation is met either high or low the alarm sounds and the display flashes Hi or Low. My DigiQ is about 10 years old so no WiFi. I just keep it in sight when using it. The food temp probe sounds when the food reaches the set temp.

Great question and yes it will only alert you on higher value. Alarm=notifications*
I agree it should work both directions. Send your feedback to RecTec in hopes they add this to their fix !
View attachment 1801

Based on this I would say that the idea is for the temp to sound on both high and low ends so long as the deviation is exceeded. So in this example 235° +- whatever the range is. If the range is 10° then 226° up to 246°.

My alarm goes off if it exceeds the +/-10* range whether higher or lower. So if I open up the grill and it drops from 225-180, alarms start going off. It also starts going off as soon as I turn on the grill, and have to turn the alarm off until it reaches set temp then turn it back on. This would be a nice feature most other grill monitors have.

Well I can be wrong, I've never seen anything that said something about + or - 10% ?

My alarm goes off if it exceeds the +/-10* range whether higher or lower. So if I open up the grill and it drops from 225-180, alarms start going off. It also starts going off as soon as I turn on the grill, and have to turn the alarm off until it reaches set temp then turn it back on. This would be a nice feature most other grill monitors have.

Agree, most don't activate until the set temp has been reached then go from there.

Agree. There should be an alert when the temp is outside the desired range once the setpoint is reached. For example, a low temp alert would help if you run out of pellets overnight. However, the "low temp" shouldn't activate while warming up to the setpoint.

Reactions: Kim
While we are talking wish list an alarm if the pellets reach a certain level during a cook would be nice too. ?
I think that would likely require an additional sensor - not sure it could be done with existing hardware. Weber's new product uses a laser to detect ~2 lbs remaining.

Give a gal an inch and she'll take a mile ?

I can see where some would need this but generally I open up the "hoppah" and check the pellet level before every cook. I have not done an overnight cook on my RecTec yet.

For whatever reason I am one of the few who gets all the alarms, and Kim is correct (I'm surprised some of you guys haven't learn to never argue with a woman..... ;) ). And yes, it is annoying on the way up to temp from "cold" start in that it will sound every few seconds until it hits the lower of the differential value from your set temp.

As for the rest of the evaluation of what/when/where the issues at hand occur, I hope, but don't believe, that RT is collecting data. I say I don't believe because the folks who have taken the time to call in and try to be part of the solution, rather than just venting on line to little or no avail like some, haven't reported that they had to answer what I would call "qualifying questions". Now I'm not a techie so these suggestions are just based on what makes sense to me based on my trouble shooting background. Questions like: What brand, model, phone and which version of their operating system. What brand, type, etc. router/modem are you using (perhaps some setting info as well). Do you have no functions, some functions, all functions (as far as you are aware of). Are your connectivity issues intermittent or continuous. And so forth. They should be constructing a matrix of data to be able to detect if there is a pattern to what's working and not, and where success is vs failure. It's not always easy to do such a data collection as some users just won't participate in a variety of ways and reasons, but if it were done with enough users they should get a clue as to what's involved.

• Haha
Well evidently I've been using the function wrong then. Maybe mine does work?...I've been setting the number to "not go over it".... This is horrible wording. "Deviation exceeds". Just say temp drops or increases... Thanks for info @Kim
Can anyone show me where it did say + or - 10% though? Curious how I missed it. I'll delete my comments soon so I don't confuse anyone in the future...lol

Last edited:
Well evidently I've been using the function wrong then. Maybe mine does work?...I've been setting the number to "not go over it".... This is horrible wording. "Deviation exceeds". Just say temp drops or increases... Thanks for info @Kim
Can anyone show me where it did say + or - 10% though? Curious how I missed it.
No +/-, just says range, implying e.g. 10 degrees either way if set at 10.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back