App Issues and Requests

Carsononline

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
So, new to rectec with a 340. Does more than enough for my family of 5. Full brisket or 2-3 shoulders, 3 racks of baby backs etc.. Love it. Rock solid temp, but the app. That was one of the main reasons I got it. Sold a traeger to get this since a good wifi temp monitor is 150 anyway, I just sold the traeger and bought this.

Main issue I have is that I get no alarms. None. Never. Over temp, done temp etc. Never notifies anything. Not sure how to fix this. My $30 wireless one works perfect. Every time. This, never.

Also, a minor issue / suggestions. Can we get a history for temp charts? To learn at this hobby, we need to see what we tried. The ability to name each smoke and have comments about it would be a plus too. Like "how did it turn out", "how did I prep it". This can help us all improve. Plus we all like to share these on social media to flex on the PID controller. :)

Welcome here! I don't get alarms either; some folks do, some don't. If it weren't for the fact that I have a few third party devices to monitor temps then I'd be upset, too.

I hate to say this and I don't want to speak ill of R-T because they are responsive on other issues and I do like my Bull but they advertise 30-day returns. Sometimes I wonder how they would react to an irate customer whom not only insisted on a return but also to have freight covered since their product doesn't function as designed.

For as much as they strive to offer a quality customer experience it would seem appropriate in my feeble mind that they would post a statement on their site to disclose this as a known issue and to provide periodic updates. I have the impression that more than a few users have this issue but maybe I'm wrong.

Having said all this--and I'm certain you know this--you would need to reach-out to Rec Tec for assistance with your concern and/or to request a wish list since this is not their site.

Good luck!

I have reached out to them and they responded quickly.

Their response was "that is actually a current bug we are dealing with on the app. We hopefully we have a update out in the next week or two to fix these occurring issues. "

If it's not resolved before my 30 days is up, I will consider pushing this. I have email explaining my concern already. If it wasn't the main driver on why I bought one at this time, I'd be more understanding. The wifi controller is useless if it doesn't work. Alarms are a necessary part of smoker thermometer.

I am the same boat. Made the call, got the same explanation and it's definitely on their end. I've tried 4 different devices and 2 separate internet providers.

I hear ya. I really like my 340 as it really delivers all that I expected. The app does work great, in that you can monitor and adjust while life goes on. The down side is, as indicated, the app's functionality really is poor. This was one of the reasons I purchased an RT and it is rather disappointing. Granted, you can crank out great food without the app, but for me, that was a good selling point. I have a great smoker with a SFB that makes great food, I just wanted something to add to my arsenal and something that had a tech advantage to it. So far, it's only operating at 75% capacity, unfortunately.

I tested fully last night, and got no alarms. Tested probe alarms and over under temp alarm. None sent alert to my phone. App open or not.

I heard the same only it was an IOS bug being worked on. I heard this yesterday

Another new RT-340 owner here. Just doing my first real cook (pork butt) and it appears that my alarms are not working either. Also having sporadic updating of the time with the graph. I have opened the graph and found it as much as 20 minutes in the past. Sometimes exiting the app and going back in causes it to sync up and other times I just have to wait and it eventually catches up. Called RecTec and this is also apparently something known and they are working on it. They told me the new version of the app that fixes the alarms is in beta test so hopefully it will be released soon.

So, new to rectec with a 340. Does more than enough for my family of 5. Full brisket or 2-3 shoulders, 3 racks of baby backs etc.. Love it. Rock solid temp, but the app. That was one of the main reasons I got it. Sold a traeger to get this since a good wifi temp monitor is 150 anyway, I just sold the traeger and bought this.

Main issue I have is that I get no alarms. None. Never. Over temp, done temp etc. Never notifies anything. Not sure how to fix this. My $30 wireless one works perfect. Every time. This, never.

Also, a minor issue / suggestions. Can we get a history for temp charts? To learn at this hobby, we need to see what we tried. The ability to name each smoke and have comments about it would be a plus too. Like "how did it turn out", "how did I prep it". This can help us all improve. Plus we all like to share these on social media to flex on the PID controller. :)
I had a similar problem. Talked with Zach and he was able to send alarms to my iphone.
He ended up sending me a newer 'controller'. Once installed,all alarms worked fine. Does your
front panel have an antenna? That is the older controller. Newer one has internal antenna.
If you'd like to discuss it offline, send me an email with your phone # & I would be glad to help.
Dan

Does your front panel have an antenna? That is the older controller. Newer one has internal antenna.

This is interesting detail; if the same holds true for the Bull, I purchased mine in December and it has a stubby antenna on the display panel and I assumed that was the newer version.

I also thought the screw in antenna on the face was the newer one?
Got my700 in May or June and it has this small antenna.
Screenshot_20200119-125039.png

newer ones have the external front antennae. My Bull has the front external. I got it in November 2019. Unless they changed it again...

Mine is the external antenna. Stubby one. On the beta app now. Still no notifications. Troubled that I've NEVER had an alert from the app. Multiple cooks and tests into it now. Thinking about a return. Doesn't do basic functionality that I rely on.

I have the 340..newer controller has internal antenna (so I was told)

On my Smokin-it Wi-fi smoker it has the ability to have set multiple steps and temps.
Here is a example:
Step 1 set smoker to 200 degrees for 1 hour
Step 2 set smoker to 350 process until meat reaches 165 degrees

Not sure if the controller can do this, I know that the Smokin-it uses a Auber PID.
Best Greg

I noticed 61% in the poll have alarm issues, guess if I get a RT I should figure on no alarms. Must have lost the developer that came up with it.

Last time I talked to RT customer service (about 3 wks ago) they had no timetable on getting the alarms working and had no new developments.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back