Ash dust

I don't know. My take away is I'm mystified at how your friend can use a pellet smoker and have zero ash. I'm not a scientist but how is it possible to burn wood and not have ash? I don't notice ash on my food (that's not to say there isn't any) but there's a good layer of ash in the bottom of my barrel and in the burn pot after a smoke. Not that it's necessary--and I'm not a clean freak--but I vacuum my pot and bottom of the barrel before each smoke. Similar results when burning charcoal in my Kettles; there is ash (even on the exterior).

Speaking of Kettles, when I began using them and WSM's 4 years ago I read that it's recommended to slowly lift the lid in an effort to minimize ash movement. This obviously doesn't minimize ash production, and I don't know that it applies to our forced air smokers, but it may be a good practice to slowly raise your lid, too.

Good luck getting the results that you expect.

Last edited:
I have been using BGE's for over 10 years. So I am not new to this. I am trying to figure if the large amounts of ash everywhere is normal for pellet poopers. When I said my friends was ash free, I meant there was no build up on the side, grates, drip pan like mine. There was ash piled in the bottom. I should have been clearer, my apologies. It just seems to me that there is way too much flying around while operating. Hence, it is getting on the food.
The only times the ash flies in the BGE's (I have 3) is when I am cleaning or stirring the left over lump.

Reactions: Kim
To add to this. I did a brisket today on the Bull. There was noticeable ash on the foil when I took if off the grill. The brisket was foiled for about 3 maybe 4 hours. I also noticed ash is starting to accumulate in the smoke box.
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but is this normal?

I don't know, buddy. I don't recall observing any ash on my food nor on foil when I do wrap. For curiosity sake, I'll have to look closely the next time I use it. As for the differences that you and your friend experience, did one of you seal your lid and the other one is using stock mode?

Someone here wrote recently about receiving a higher cfm rated fan to resolve some issue if I recall correctly. That's not you, is it?

Both sealed. It was not me that posted that. But I asked CS about lowering the speed of the fan and they said there is no adjustment.
Thanks for your help

My questions are:
When you are "low and slowing"..does your fan turn on and off or does it run constantly?
And , have you ever tried the Lumberjack pellets?
I found they burnt and tasted better than the RecTec ones I had.

There's only a couple things it could be. Either the pellets, which you seem to have ruled out, or something blowing it around, like the fan or wind. Your first pics look excessive. The after cleanup one doesn't look overly bad IMO, depending on how long the two cooks were. I don't pay attention to it much anymore, but pretty sure I've had that amount on numerous occasions. It's pretty windy on my deck.

I didnt think about the wind. There is nothing behind it. I roll it around and put it where I need, it. My friends grill is up against a block wall.

I’ve been having the same issue with ash blowing around. When my smokes are complete it has noticeably accumulated on my grill grates, the drip try is completely covered with a fine “dust” and the sides all around are covered. I did some beef ribs last weekend and when I took them out there was a noticeable amount on the butcher paper I had wrapped them in. While a bit of ash is no big deal, using the grill on a regular basis and consuming ash can’t be good for you. This is my only disappointment with the grill.

Reactions: Kim
Mine blows ash all up on the food too. The sear plates have to be washed to get it off of them. If you think about it I don't really see how ash could be prevented from flying all up in the cook area. The purpose of the fan is to circulate the hot air up into the grilling chamber and ash is very light.

I too have cooked an a BGE for years and of course you burp it when you open it to prevent flashback from any coal dust that may be in there and with the Weber you crack it to prevent the suction from opening the lid straight up drawing ash up.

The RecTec is in now way shape or form sealed well enough to have to do anything special when you open the lid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back