BBQ O.D.

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I think my wife OD'd on BBQ. She asked for pizza recently.

I have had a propane fired pizza oven since around 2013. I bought it used off someone on the Pizzamaking.com forum. It was primarily designed to do the super high temp Neapolitan style pizza that is traditionally done in wood fired ovens at around 850F for 90 seconds. I was really into it for a few years. But as time went on it became clear, you can't eat pizza all the time and not get rounder. Besides, it was as much or more work than bbq. So, it started setting longer and longer between uses. Last time it was fired was at least a couple years. It looked pretty sad. Things were dirty, cobweb filled, and some key parts inside were rusty. The rotating table didn't rotate. The spindle and table that holds the round stone are mild steel and had rusted badly. I field stripped it and washed it out, used some RemOil and other lubes to get the spindle for the rotating stone freed up. The motor worked! After airing up the tires, I wheeled it up front to fire it up. Everything was working fine.

Earlier, I had started a quick rising dough.

We built a pie and I launched it. We had a cooked pie in a couple minutes. It wasn't quite Neapolitan, since I used a generic AP flour and the oven deck temp was probably around 750F, but it was still pretty good for "Quaranteen Pizza". Still have a couple dough balls in the fridge. Maybe this afternoon I'll have a better pizza to show.
IMG_5761.jpg
IMG_5755.jpg
IMG_5760.jpg
IMG_5763.jpg

Good to see some alternatives, while scratch made pizza can be done on the RT, there are other options that various folks have here. That is a nifty pizza makin' toy. The Blackstone folks made a version for awhile, but have discontinued it. Not likely as substantially built as that one, but similar function including the rotating stone.

I've taken to doing my pizzas on the gas grill of late. It's got an IR rotisserie burner in addition to the four lower burners so it will warm up the stone and char the top when set up for it. Due to it's size and the style of ventilation I operate in the 600-650 range for stone temp, 500-550 dome temp so it takes more in the 5-7 minute range this time of year. I'm the rotating mechanism. Here's a pic of last night's result.

pizza gasser 02.jpg

Good to see some alternatives, while scratch made pizza can be done on the RT, there are other options that various folks have here. That is a nifty pizza makin' toy. The Blackstone folks made a version for awhile, but have discontinued it. Not likely as substantially built as that one, but similar function including the rotating stone.

I've taken to doing my pizzas on the gas grill of late. It's got an IR rotisserie burner in addition to the four lower burners so it will warm up the stone and char the top when set up for it. Due to it's size and the style of ventilation I operate in the 600-650 range for stone temp, 500-550 dome temp so it takes more in the 5-7 minute range this time of year. I'm the rotating mechanism. Here's a pic of last night's result.

View attachment 2725
BEAutiful!

View attachment 2725

Nice pie UB. Looks like some of my favorite toppings.

That Blackstone was a direct rip-off of Williard's 2Stone he developed with a lot of sweat and innovation in his garage. I had a Blackstone pizza oven before this one. They were slightly larger and worked ok, but needed some mods to get consistency. They were extremely cheaply made in China, with poor craftsmanship and materials. Willard's machine is way overbuilt. That cabinet is .062 304 Stainless. But this model was targetted at restaurants and was well over $2k new. Willard still posts over on the pizzamaking.com forum. Kinda sad to see how he got run over.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back