Beef Plate Ribs...I found them!!!

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I had been looking for the Beef Plate 3 Bone Short Ribs since I have been hearing of these gems. I was able to find the 4 bone Chuck short rib plates at restaurant Depot about a month ago. Cooked them and they were fantastic. But I have been very curious about the 3 bone, I've been hearing about.

Went last week to Restaurant Depot and they sold out immediately. Told me to come back today as that's when they get their shipment. Called at 9 this morning and was informed they had four cases. Jumped in the car and headed out. Got here, and all I saw were 4 bone ribs. This very kind man brought out a forklift and started pulling gigantic pallets of meat down from the top shelf. In the end, they were sent the wrong shipment. No 3 bone plates.

Decided to try another Restaurant Depot in SoCal. The opposite direction. I would normally never do this due to traffic but with this pandemic, there's no traffic. 30 minutes later I arrive at another Restaurant Depot. This one is bigger than the last one. And yes, I called ahead and asked the guy to double-check that there were three bone plates on the shelf. Got there and all they had left were two packages. Didn't think twice. Bought them both. Tried to vacuum seal them when I got home after separating them from their two pack. They were too big to get into the largest vacuum seal bag that I could make.

I am very excited. For anyone who has not made these before, I was very curious about what exactly this illusive rib is. I originally purchased the 4 bone beef plate chuck short rib. When you see what a 3 bone looks like, you know it is completely different. Something I did not know originally. These rib bones are between 11 and 12 in long.

Price was $6.92 a pound. I figured each plate was about $48. Twice as much as a 4 bone chuck short rib plate. I'm in Southern California, don't know if that makes a difference.

I plan on making these this weekend. Finally, the mystery for me has been solved!

Attachments

• IMG_20200528_124415.jpg
    IMG_20200528_124415.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 386
Good score! Can't wait to see the finished product! Keep us posted...

I had been looking for the Beef Plate 3 Bone Short Ribs since I have been hearing of these gems. I was able to find the 4 bone Chuck short rib plates at restaurant Depot about a month ago. Cooked them and they were fantastic. But I have been very curious about the 3 bone, I've been hearing about.

Went last week to Restaurant Depot and they sold out immediately. Told me to come back today as that's when they get their shipment. Called at 9 this morning and was informed they had four cases. Jumped in the car and headed out. Got here, and all I saw were 4 bone ribs. This very kind man brought out a forklift and started pulling gigantic pallets of meat down from the top shelf. In the end, they were sent the wrong shipment. No 3 bone plates.

Decided to try another Restaurant Depot in SoCal. The opposite direction. I would normally never do this due to traffic but with this pandemic, there's no traffic. 30 minutes later I arrive at another Restaurant Depot. This one is bigger than the last one. And yes, I called ahead and asked the guy to double-check that there were three bone plates on the shelf. Got there and all they had left were two packages. Didn't think twice. Bought them both. Tried to vacuum seal them when I got home after separating them from their two pack. They were too big to get into the largest vacuum seal bag that I could make.

I am very excited. For anyone who has not made these before, I was very curious about what exactly this illusive rib is. I originally purchased the 4 bone beef plate chuck short rib. When you see what a 3 bone looks like, you know it is completely different. Something I did not know originally. These rib bones are between 11 and 12 in long.

Price was $6.92 a pound. I figured each plate was about $48. Twice as much as a 4 bone chuck short rib plate. I'm in Southern California, don't know if that makes a difference.

I plan on making these this weekend. Finally, the mystery for me has been solved!
They look like the real deal. The price is way less then you would pay at a butcher shop. They are worth the price. You know not to pull the skin from the underside, like you might do with pork ribs. Enjoy and send pics. ??

They look like the real deal. The price is way less then you would pay at a butcher shop. They are worth the price. You know not to pull the skin from the underside, like you might do with pork ribs. Enjoy and send pics. ??
Thank you. I remember that from when I cooked the for bone plate. Good reminder!

Wow.....you're lucky alright! Can't find them anywhere around my area here. I'm looking forward to your detailed post and pics! ?

This is a great article!!! Definitely removes any confusion I had originally with the four rib. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Beth,
I found that article in my search for where these "ribs" come from and their characteristics. I've seen and had big beef ribs in the past, but never cooked any, as those I've had from event vendors never really got me excited. Usually, they were under cooked, tough, and not rendered. But, I need to give these a try on my Rectec. Some mesquite, cherry, and oak should compliment these. I may head over to RD in Torrance to see if they have some.

Thanks Beth,
I found that article in my search for where these "ribs" come from and their characteristics. I've seen and had big beef ribs in the past, but never cooked any, as those I've had from event vendors never really got me excited. Usually, they were under cooked, tough, and not rendered. But, I need to give these a try on my Rectec. Some mesquite, cherry, and oak should compliment these. I may head over to RD in Torrance to see if they have some.
Pasadena was out. I went to Van Nuys and bought the last two. Do you have a membership?

Pasadena was out. I went to Van Nuys and bought the last two. Do you have a membership?
Beth,
I don't have a membership, but they were open to the public a month or so ago, due to the C-19. Do you know if they are still open to the public? Otherwise, the other option is to join KCBS.

Beth,
I don't have a membership, but they were open to the public a month or so ago, due to the C-19. Do you know if they are still open to the public? Otherwise, the other option is to join KCBS.
Well I know that Pasadena was at one time open to the public. But when I drove to Van Nuys there was a big sign that said not open to the public. I would call Torrance and ask them before going out.

Cool article, thanks for sharing.

The RD location we went to weeks ago had a sign up that said "not open to the public" - but they were. Just needed to ask for a day pass at the desk. You can always call ahead to ask. I won't be surprised if they restrict access as demand from restaurants increases.

Well, we were there a week ago and there was practically no beef in Pasadena. I went yesterday to another location and the shelves were packed except for the two packs of plate ribs that I took. Other than that, you would not have known there was any kind of meat shortage or global pandemic!

I called ahead. First store said they got four cases in, but once I got there they realize they had been sent the wrong shipment. The second RD I called said they had them. But by the time I got there, there were only two packs left, 3O minutes later. Good luck!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back