Boneless Leg of Lamb

BethV

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I made my first Leg of Lamb, from Costco tonight in the smoker. I'm a big fan of lamb and I roast it in my oven all the time and love it. This took it to a whole new level. It's a fast cook. Three and a half hours from beginning to slicing. We like it medium rare and it did not disappoint.

I did learn a lesson however. I always cut out any hard fat inside of a boneless leg of lamb. I'm a pretty serious trimmer when it comes to meats and poultry. In my experience that's where the gamey flavor comes from. I also remove a lot of silver skin. But it's hard to get it all without doing too much damage to the meat. At 250, I'm not cooking it hot enough or long enough to render extra fat and definitely not silver skin. Next time I will remove all of the silver skin even if it means giving up a little bit of meat. I would rather be able to cut it without ever running into that stuff. Most people would not have noticed it, but I'm pretty picky so I did.

I'm amazed at how tender and juicy it is and that it only released a quarter cup of juice.

I did marinate it overnight which I think really added flavor.

Attachments

• IMG_20200426_170433.jpg
    IMG_20200426_170433.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 307
  • IMG_20200426_170706.jpg
    IMG_20200426_170706.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20200426_171108.jpg
    IMG_20200426_171108.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 148
Nicely done. I am a fanatic when it comes to silver skin. Just keep the knife blade tilted up against the s skin as to keep most the meat.
Cooked perfectly, looks delicious!
We like the little t-bone lamb chops from Costco marinated in fresh rosemary, garlic and olive oil.

I made my first Leg of Lamb, from Costco tonight in the smoker. I'm a big fan of lamb and I roast it in my oven all the time and love it. This took it to a whole new level. It's a fast cook. Three and a half hours from beginning to slicing. We like it medium rare and it did not disappoint.

I did learn a lesson however. I always cut out any hard fat inside of a boneless leg of lamb. I'm a pretty serious trimmer when it comes to meats and poultry. In my experience that's where the gamey flavor comes from. I also remove a lot of silver skin. But it's hard to get it all without doing too much damage to the meat. At 250, I'm not cooking it hot enough or long enough to render extra fat and definitely not silver skin. Next time I will remove all of the silver skin even if it means giving up a little bit of meat. I would rather be able to cut it without ever running into that stuff. Most people would not have noticed it, but I'm pretty picky so I did.

I'm amazed at how tender and juicy it is and that it only released a quarter cup of juice.

I did marinate it overnight which I think really added flavor.
Wow. Looks amazing. I never was really crazy about taking all the silver skin off but have changed my tune. Makes a difference. A little extra time at the prep, better final result. Enjoy.

I Love lamb! And yours looks awesome! Many moons ago, I mean, Many Many moons ago, my mom used to regularly bake bone in legs of lamb. So for me, I'll have to try one soon on the Rec Tec.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back