Boxing Day Pulled Pork

Bytor

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I started off with a 9.5 lb butt that was trimmed down about a half a pound or so. I forgot to weigh the trimmed pieces. I applied the usual rub that I make 2 days out and wrapped it tight in a food bag. I had pretty much everything set up for launch at 0530. This is one of the main reasons I bought a pellet smoker. I have a chargriller 5050 combo with a SFB and it works great. The problem is in the fire management and having to baby sit it to feed it as needed. Which in the Winter months, is more often than when warmer. Especially a pain at 0530 the day after Christmas..... Once everything was set, I put the meat on the grill and crashed for a couple of hours.

What was really sweet, was that I was able to roll over in bed and check the app to see the progress. Looking at the chart, the set point (225F) was always maintained to within at most 5F. Another great feature, compared to the ol' chargriller. It took just about 11 hours, at 225F to get to 205 and 203 on both probes. That seemed to be a little long, I don't know. Maybe I will try 250F the next go-a-round. I would spritz some water though the vent holes every now and then up until the last few hours. I didn't want to hinder the bark any.

Anyway, it was definitely the best pork I have ever cooked, and I have cooked many. I couldn't get over the flavor, bark and smoke ring. It seemed to be more consistent across the whole piece, when it came to pulling it apart. It ended up being melt in your mouth good with nice burnt end texture around the ends. I couldn't resist the urge to sample some of the bark before it got pulled. I'm still using the blended pellets that came with the unit and so far really like the aroma and flavor. I have one more bag to burn up and will now have to decide what to get next.

I think it's getting time for a try at a Brisket next.

Attachments

• B. Butt.jpg
    B. Butt.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 94
@Bytor, I’ve got a butt on the Stampede right now, smaller though (5.4 Lbs)...and last minute, as our Friday night couples gathering that was canceled suddenly became...uncanceled.

I‘m not doing too bad, only about 1.5 hours behind where I would like to be, and resisting the urge to crank up the temp to compensate. I did that once a few years ago with my old WSM cooker and the results were less desirable....I decided I’m sticking to my guns, and we can just start the evening late.

@Bytor, I’ve got a butt on the Stampede right now, smaller though (5.4 Lbs)...and last minute, as our Friday night couples gathering that was canceled suddenly became...uncanceled.

I‘m not doing too bad, only about 1.5 hours behind where I would like to be, and resisting the urge to crank up the temp to compensate. I did that once a few years ago with my old WSM cooker and the results were less desirable....I decided I’m sticking to my guns, and we can just start the evening late.
Break out the h'orsderves and maybe a drink, or two. The wait is worth it.....

Break out the h'orsderves and maybe a drink, or two. The wait is worth it.....

I pulled it off the Stampede when it reached 198 degrees, Double-wrapped in foil and then an insulated blanket, and drove the 30 minutes to our couples gathering. When we arrived (yeah, we ended up being an hour late) cocktails were flowing and crockpot side dishes were “warming”....

When I walked in, I was met with irritated looks, until I held up the bundled, duct taped blanket and said it was the butt, BOOM....instant hero. :cool:

And yup....the wait was worth it....other than the fact that I went home empty-handed...all talk of “I need to watch my portions” was thrown out the window...no leftovers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back