Breakfast Strata?

DD owner

Hey all,

Trying my first egg bake on the 700 this morning using the recipe on the rectec page. It says to bake at 350 30-40 min until the custard is set. I've had it on for 70 minutes now and its still runny in the middle. Im using a stoneware baking pan, 50 degrees outside, grill is maintaining temp. Any ideas why its taking so long?

They probably used a typical thin gauge metal baking pan and you're using a ceramic, heavy/thick by comparison. The heat energy is working to bring the pan up to temp before it gets to cooking the egg mixture. Similar to the situation people have with a pizza stone. If they don't heat soak the stone before (typically for an hour at full temp) they'll often get an undercooked crust.

I tried the rec tec recipe in the oven at 350 and remember it taking longer even in just an aluminum pan. I think it finally set at around an hour. If all else fails maybe just go crank up the oven.

Also like a cheesecake you want to take it out while still a little jiggly still in the center.
As it cools it will set up.

Hey all,

Trying my first egg bake on the 700 this morning using the recipe on the rectec page. It says to bake at 350 30-40 min until the custard is set. I've had it on for 70 minutes now and its still runny in the middle. Im using a stoneware baking pan, 50 degrees outside, grill is maintaining temp. Any ideas why its taking so long?
The thickness of the stoneware takes the heat longer to get through. Either more time or more heat. If you opt for more heat be careful not to let it overcook

Thanks all! It took close to 3x time wise but was good. Next time well add some black olives and maybe a few jalapenos and top with some cheese, but it was fun to try.

Thanks all! It took close to 3x time wise but was good. Next time well add some black olives and maybe a few jalapenos and top with some cheese, but it was fun to try.
It’s all a learning g curve. Nice job

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back