Brisket Flat

cookingjnj

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Hi all,

Ok, let me try this again. Sorry I must have hit a send button while typing out my last post, and could not see how to pull it back...….

Starting all over again, my wife and family celebrate Passover. Brisket and Matzo ball soup are always part of the menu. I have never been a fan of the way the family cooks brisket, because it is always done in a liquid and comes out like pot roast. I have never been a fan of pot roast. The past four years I have cooked the brisket on the RT and it has made the Passover Seder so much better. Everyone loves the smoked brisket. This year my wife also made her own Matzo ball soup from scratch... broth and all. I have to say, in the 30+ years we have been together (married 29) this might have been the best ever. One complaint I had, the brisket might have been a little over on the temp, and a little over on the rub. I say a little as in I am splitting hairs.

Trimmed the brisket, rubbed a little Worcestershire sauce
Dry rub a thin layer of all purpose rub and then rub with Montreal Steak Seasoning
Wrap and into the fridge over night.
The next morning, start the pit with a target temp of 225 and take brisket out of the fridge.
Lightly dust the brisket with a little more rub
When pit hits sustained 225, put brisket right on the lower grates
Cook brisket until internal is between 160-175 depending on what you want your bark to look like. (I took mine to 175)
Wrap brisket in double layer of foil, with just a bit of butter at the bottom of the foil (I have not wrapped a brisket in a long time, but did decide to do so here)
(I have not wrapped a brisket in a long time, so this was different then my normal cooks. Normally I cook on the pit until 205 IT or probes tender)
Back on the pit, and raise pit temp to 245.
Continue to cook at 245 until internal reads 205. At 205, I still was a little tight with the probe so I left on until IT was 210.
If probing tender, take off pit and open foils to let some heat out for about 1-2 minutes.
Place in an FTC for at least 30 minutes. I did for about 1.5 hours. Still very hot. I think I took it over a bit before I pulled originally. It was a little over, but not bad at all.
Slice and enjoy the goodness of your cook.

As mentioned, I think I might have gone a little over on the temp (although not dry at all and still moist) and rub. But it was a great brisket and a really good Passover Seder. Due to "social distancing" my wife actually put together a virtual Seder dinner through the ZOOM app so all the family could enjoy.

Easter Sunday will be a Moroccan Spiced boneless leg of lamb....I will try to remember to take pics.

Attachments

• Brisket Rubbed.jpg
    Brisket Rubbed.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Brisket on pit.jpg
    Brisket on pit.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 91
  • Brisket sliced.jpg
    Brisket sliced.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Brisket Finger Test.jpg
    Brisket Finger Test.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Soup.jpg
    Soup.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 100
Looks like perfection!

Due to "social distancing" my wife actually put together a virtual Seder dinner through the ZOOM app so all the family could enjoy.
That's fantastic man. Love it!

The brisket looked pretty good too. ;)

Sounds delicious. Hoping to try your recipe this weekend. How many hours did your flat take before you got it into the cooler?

Hi b....I do not remember off hand and did not record the times for this cook. I seem to recall about 9 hours for this particular cook. I always recommend starting the cook an hour or so earlier than you think you plan for. If it does get done earlier, these larger pieces of meat can stay in the FTC, and stay very hot for 3-4 hours. Just remember, if you do foil during the cook, to open the foil for a few minutes when you take it off. Helps the meat stay hot, but not continue to cook too much and take you over your desired temp. Close the foil back up and into the FTC. Can't wait to see your cook this weekend. Enjoy and have fun.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back