Bullseye Bullseye Ribeyes

The steaks were good. I have the ok from the powers that be I can move forward with a gasser which I have not had for a long time. “At your age, you may not have that many years left so go for it”! Yikes so I can now shop gasser options if I decide.

The steaks were good. I have the ok from the powers that be I can move forward with a gasser which I have not had for a long time. “At your age, you may not have that many years left so go for it”! Yikes so I can now shop gasser options if I decide.
Do a Bullseye instead. I got a Bullseye in May 2022 to compliment the 590 and have not used my Weber Genesis since.

Air dry in fridge 4hrs. 190* low setting 30 min. Gives a little smoke and starts fat release. Rest until Bull reaches 690-700 on riot. This baby is hot so use long turning fork if you absolutely need to turn. Most times 8-9 min and they're med rare and good to go with no turn. I add 1 handful of charcoal pellets for 3 mesquite.

Here’s a couple of ribeyes I did last night on the 340 cranked up to the max; 600F.

IMG_2447.jpeg

This was an experiment as I have never cooked ribeyes or other steak on anything but my Napoleon gasser. They were pretty good, but not as good as from the gasser with the sear station.

Thanks for all the updates. Mys sons and I have been experimenting with all sorts of steak cooks. 2 of the like the Sous vide and the a serious sear on the Napoleon sear station. Trying to get them to break loose and buy 590s for themselves as they enjoy all the cooks it does well. Anyway some great ribeyes lately from Wild Fork Foods that were so marbled I would have sworn they were prime!
Every week I learn something new here, and try to pass it on to the boys for their family meals!

This was an experiment as I have never cooked ribeyes or other steak on anything but my Napoleon gasser. They were pretty good, but not as good as from the gasser with the sear station.
Same for me, I always use the Napoleon for steaks (and chicken). Do you sear your steaks first then put them in the grill to finish cooking? That is the way I do it, idea being searing first locks in the juices, and it will not be as dried out (I cook my steak medium).

@PRC, I have tried it both ways (sear first and sear after), and didn't detect much difference in the final result. We cook our steaks to medium rare (pull at about 137F target internal temp, 142F after rest), so that may make a difference. I actually cook steak by feel (been doing it for 60 years) rather than probing them on the grill.

Either way (sear first or last), I do love the sear the Napoleon 1800F infrared sear burner puts on them. While I think I got a decent sear on the ribeyes I did on the 340, it just wasn't the same.

I was a bit surprised that the 340 did maintain a 600F temperature during the cook. It did drop about 50F when I raised the lid to quickly flip the ribeyes over, but quickly recovered when the lid was closed.

My technique for this "experimental" cook was to cook the ribeyes 2-1/2 minutes on a side, they rotating them about 60 degrees and repeating. Overall cook time was 10 minutes. After a 10-minute rest, they checked out at 144F; close enough to my target. My old, educated finger must not have lost its "touch." ;)

@PRC, I have tried it both ways (sear first and sear after), and didn't detect much difference in the final result. We cook our steaks to medium rare (pull at about 137F target internal temp, 142F after rest), so that may make a difference. I actually cook steak by feel (been doing it for 60 years) rather than probing them on the grill.

Either way (sear first or last), I do love the sear the Napoleon 1800F infrared sear burner puts on them. While I think I got a decent sear on the ribeyes I did on the 340, it just wasn't the same.

I was a bit surprised that the 340 did maintain a 600F temperature during the cook. It did drop about 50F when I raised the lid to quickly flip the ribeyes over, but quickly recovered when the lid was closed.

My technique for this "experimental" cook was to cook the ribeyes 2-1/2 minutes on a side, they rotating them about 60 degrees and repeating. Overall cook time was 10 minutes. After a 10-minute rest, they checked out at 144F; close enough to my target. My old, educated finger must not have lost its "touch." ;)
I have been doing reverse sear. 120 then to the sear station for a good sear and after letting rest usu rises to 125\130 👍🏻

I (and others) actually have enjoyed giving steaks a kiss of smoke on the Recteq before moving on to the higher heat (gas or in my case charcoal on my PK). Just throwing it out there....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back