Burn in

EchoTech

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Just doing my burn in, REC TEC just closed for the night. Set at 400 the grill is 454 and feed rate is 3. Not sure what to do.

The key to these grate cookers (even during burn in) is to keep the lid shut. The grill with get itself where it needs to be. It will burn hot then back down. Keep this in mind when you start cooking. Heating up the pit, especially if you are doing a high heat cook, you will see the temps go past where you want it to be. Monitor, with the lid closed, and you should see it settle into the temp you are looking for. If not, as MT mentions, there maybe other issues going on. Enjoy!

I did not know that, thanks for the tip. And your right, my temp came down to exactly 400 to 403. I was pretty nervous there for a few, thanks guys !!!! really appreciate it !!!

It’s not like the oven in your house. Your burning wood here. The Rec tec does an amazing job of holding temps just a degree or two from set point. But when you open the lid to look or sauce your food or whatever, your letting a lot of heat out and cooler air in. So the pellet grill goes into high gear trying to catch up. Then when you close the door the fire pit is full of pellets it has to burn off. So sir right and it will settle down.

Best thing you can do is not open the lid anymore then you need to. It’s fine to open to sauce or mop or whatever, just don’t play peek-a-boo with your food.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back