Burnt ends cooking question

waterdog89

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Whats is everyone’s preferred method for doing burnt ends? I smoked my first full packer brisket a few weeks ago which turned out great. Smoked for around 12 hours on 225, let rest for about 3 hours, then separated the point and cubed for burnt ends. My problem was I turned the smoker off when I put it in the cooler to rest. When I started it back up, it kept flaming out, I assume due to ash buildup, so I ended up finishing burnt ends in the oven. Would you leave the smoker on while resting or separate point from flat when you pull it off, and let the flat rest while finishing the burnt ends?

A323F1A5-D06B-4F3A-9AD3-982F45AC79AF.jpeg
2B6665F6-CD15-42D7-88E2-26514B150E6A.jpeg

I usually do the burn ends at a later date, mostly because I am so full from eating the brisket.
Greg

Whats is everyone’s preferred method for doing burnt ends? I smoked my first full packer brisket a few weeks ago which turned out great. Smoked for around 12 hours on 225, let rest for about 3 hours, then separated the point and cubed for burnt ends. My problem was I turned the smoker off when I put it in the cooler to rest. When I started it back up, it kept flaming out, I assume due to ash buildup, so I ended up finishing burnt ends in the oven. Would you leave the smoker on while resting or separate point from flat when you pull it off, and let the flat rest while finishing the burnt ends?

Separate the point before cooking, make corned beef/pastrami with the flat. My last effort on burnt ends was incredibly delicious doing just that. You get twice the bark and it's just the bomb. The flat is curing for St. Patty's day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back