Calibrating probes. Advice or information appreciated

StephenR

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Recent Big Green Egg convert and just learning my new Bull 700. Still learning and quite impressed with the simplicity of it. Cooked my first brisket the weekend on the Bull And the results were decent but not great. I am Wondering if anyone has tips or specifics on how to test the probes for accuracy and how to calibrate if needed? Is there a sure fire way to test and make sure that the grill set temperature and the actual grill temperature are calibrated?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Heres a link to your question and one other that may come in handy

Watch "Meat Probe Calibration | REC TEC Grills" on YouTube

Watch "Wi-Pellet WiFi Controller • Offset Calibration | REC TEC Grills" on YouTube

I recently tested my RT340, I threw a thermometer in the grill and preheated it. The temp was pretty much dead on but thats easily adjusted if needed. I followed the video on calibrating the probes except I added throwing a separate thermometer into the ice water with the probes and made sure they all matched. You may, at some point, run into an issue that your grill will run hotter than the set temperature. The feed rate will have to be adjust. Factor setting is 6.5 and lowering that to 3.0 usually works. Enjoy the grill, I know I have since getting mine.

Hey, welcome to Rec Tec. You are in for a treat. You might also want to check the general temp of the grill if you have another thermometer or probe. You will be able to tell if the 225 on the rec tec probe is the same or close to the independent reading you get. Good to just know the difference. ??

I recently tested my RT340, I threw a thermometer in the grill and preheated it. The temp was pretty much dead on but thats easily adjusted if needed. I followed the video on calibrating the probes except I added throwing a separate thermometer into the ice water with the probes and made sure they all matched. You may, at some point, run into an issue that your grill will run hotter than the set temperature. The feed rate will have to be adjust. Factor setting is 6.5 and lowering that to 3.0 usually works. Enjoy the grill, I know I have since getting mine.
Thanks for the reply. I definitely will look into the feed rate.

thanks

Hey, welcome to Rec Tec. You are in for a treat. You might also want to check the general temp of the grill if you have another thermometer or probe. You will be able to tell if the 225 on the rec tec probe is the same or close to the independent reading you get. Good to just know the difference. ??
Great point. I will do this before my next cook.
thanks

So I calibrated my new 700 this morning and found probe was reading 4 degrees too high. But it's not the probe it appears to be the port. When I switched the probes in port A and B, the discrepancy did not change. To me that means the probes themselves are fine, but the B port reads high.

Anyone else see something like this?

I still adjusted that port down by 4, but seems I don't need to worry about which probe goes where.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back