Stampede Calling all Turkey smokers

ndfan6464

Active Military
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Alright so with Turkey day fast approaching us I figured I'd try the RT out on a Turkey. I've never done one the RT so wanted to reach to you all and see what your experience is with doing one.

As well as get some tips, tricks and if you so kind, a recipe. I havent smoked a Turkey in about 10yrs so little rusty.

I plan on doing one next weekend as a trial run. As long as Hurricane Dorian doesnt level my house hahah..

So I'll open the floor up. And thanks for sharing whatever knowledge and information.

@ndfan6464 First off, stay safe in the upcoming days, I can’t imagine what folks go though when nature comes a screaming by..

Second, I’m in a similar boat as the last turkey I smoked had to have been 5+ years ago and in my MES30. I do recall that I smoked that one whole, with apple or cherry wood (my typical go to). The meat was juicy, skin was chewy but had good flavor. I’m thinking I may try to spatchcock a turkey and see how that goes...

I’d season it like a chicken, maybe do a 24 hour brine and then smoke at low or 200 for an hour and then crank to 375 to finish. Coating the skin with a butter / spice mixture with pads of butter shoved in various locations on the bird..

Last edited:
Spatchock it and use your sear plates. I like Italian seasonings as I just returned from Italy and absolutely enjoyed the Chicken they served there.

Thanks everyone for the information. Looks like itll have to be postponed. Duty calls. Heading out and preparing for Dorian.. see y'all when I get back..

This will be my first year, but I’ve done it every year for about a decade on gas smokers. It’s as good or better than deep frying without the hassle.

Make sure to get your hand under the skin and separate it from the meat. Then use a butter or oil based seasoning to get it all over and directly on the meat, while leaving the skin as intact as possible. Smoke with Apple wood for a very light flavor, and it comes out almost like a perfect ham and very juicy. Cherry hickory and pecan also work. I am obsessed with mesquite on everything I smoke, but for Turkey I prefer Apple.

There are methods to make super crispy skin, but I prefer low sugar and softer skin on my smoked turkey.

You’ll love it and won’t go back to baking or other methods. So easy. I’ll see how the rev ref does this year for me

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back