Cedar Plank Salmon - a question

Bull & Eggs

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Yo, has anyone here tried grilling Cedar Plank Salmon of the RecTec? I went back and tried to find posts here, but didn't see any related to this.

I'm gonna try it when my Bull gets here, but wanted to see if someone here has done it. I may just use a grill mat, but the grill size is ample on the RT, and it's a cool way to do it. I always did mine on a gas grill because the large planks never fit on the Eggs.....

Thanks.

I have used grill mats several times, but when it comes to salmon I typically always use cedar planks. Just be sure to soak them in water for a few minutes before putting them on the grill.

I have used grill mats several times, but when it comes to salmon I typically always use cedar planks. Just be sure to soak them in water for a few minutes before putting them on the grill.
Yessir, need to soak those planks. Sometimes I buy the pre-marinated, plastic sealed salmon planks at the local grocery store. Those are totally wet. I open the package and add my seasonings, honey, what have you, and you are ready to go.

Averitt Express, get your rear end to my house!!! The pallet arrived in Atlanta yesterday morning, just sitting in their shipping warehouse. My stuff from RT is scheduled for Monday. So close, yet so far....... Hahahaha!

I haven't done any salmon this way. Reading about the method, it appears the skin should be removed and the plank soaked to get the cedar flavor into the fish with the steam? Is the flavor noticeable? Any temperatures and techniques that work well with the RT?

I haven't done any salmon this way. Reading about the method, it appears the skin should be removed and the plank soaked to get the cedar flavor into the fish with the steam? Is the flavor noticeable? Any temperatures and techniques that work well with the RT?
I don't remove the skin. Place the salmon skin side down, and season the top, pretty side. While on the grill, you will most definitely smell the cedar wood smoking. After about 18-20 minutes or so, the edges of the plank are blackened, while the inner portion where the salmon is resting is still cedar color. If you are transferring the finished fish and cedar inside the house, bring it under the stove exhaust fan, because the wood will be smokin. You'll love it.

I use a product from True Value Gourmet (order from Amazon). They come in packs of 8 almost paper thin cedar wraps. I put my salmon filets on the wrap and right on my grates of the gasser or grill grates on the RT at high temp like you are grilling. Gives a slight cedar smoke flavor and smells really good while cooking. If I have either pit at 425 or so takes about 8-10 minutes to get it cooked a nice medium. Using a spatula the meat slides right off the skin which stays on the cedar wrap. The wraps can be used for many other cooking applications too.

Yo, has anyone here tried grilling Cedar Plank Salmon of the RecTec? I went back and tried to find posts here, but didn't see any related to this.

I'm gonna try it when my Bull gets here, but wanted to see if someone here has done it. I may just use a grill mat, but the grill size is ample on the RT, and it's a cool way to do it. I always did mine on a gas grill because the large planks never fit on the Eggs.....

Thanks.
I’ve done salmon on cedar planks. Comes out great. Cooked at 400 for 35-45 min. The cedar adds some good flavor. I’ve done them on the mats when I didn’t have cedar. Better with the cedar.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back