Chuck Roast

Cirhere

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I am new just got my 590 I tried a chuck roast yesterday turned out ok but it was dry and a little tough
my question is I bought a pellet cook book it says pull roast at 145 on here and YouTube says 195n to 205
I'm confused

Depend on if you want sliced or pulled. Higher temp, probe tender for Pulled beef.

Internal temperature of the meat is often just a guide. For a lot of meats, you want to probe for tenderness in addition to temp. One piece might be ready at 198 and another at 203.

As mentioned above, whether you plan to slice versus pull/shred is another factor. If I'm cooking a pork roast (to slice) it's coming off at a much lower temperature than a Boston butt (for pulled pork).

Last edited:
I have been smoking chuck's a lot over the past couple of months and they are becoming my favorite. The only problem is that they seem to getting more expensive. For me, these things take some time to cook. I usually go for 3-3.5#, or more if I can find them. Typically, I will set up the smoker at 225 and smoke until the stall occurs, usually 5 or more hours into it. I prefer to wrap in butchers paper, though others prefer not to do that, and will check for temps in the 195-198 range and go for the "butter" feel when probing it. As noted in previous posts, 203-205 gets you to pulling temps.

The one BIG thing I think is letting it rest in a cooler for at the very least 90 minutes. If I go any less than that, I notice the meat is drier. You can also tell it's not rested enough if when you cut into it, it's still hot to touch and a ton of steam comes out of it. I associate lots of steam leaving the meat means lots of moisture leaving the meat and therefore making it drier than it should be.

Tough probably because it wasn't cooked long enough for the fat to render. Let it go, like Bytor said, 'til 195-198 then start testing with probe. Let it be your guide to pull off smoker. Works for me

I am new just got my 590 I tried a chuck roast yesterday turned out ok but it was dry and a little tough
my question is I bought a pellet cook book it says pull roast at 145 on here and YouTube says 195n to 205
I'm confused
Not sure what that cookbook was trying to convey but you cook the Chuck roast til it reaches an internal temp of 145. Then, wrap it and take it to that 195-205 temp. Even then, you should take the tip of your temperature probe and poke around different parts of the roast to make sure it’s tender. I’ve had to rewrap and cook longer, in 20-30 increments til that prove doesn’t encounter any resistance. That way I know it’s pull apart tender…I use two forks to shred it like I would with a pork shoulder/butt.

When I wrap at 145, I put the wrapped meat in an aluminum pan to collect any fat drippings from the roast, I do, sometimes put some liquid in the pan…apple juice for pork, beef broth for beef, a beer, a Coke, or a Dr Pepper.

My experience has been booking a Chuck roast or pork butt gets too dry for my liking if I don’t wrap. And that could be that I don’t spritz very often.

I encourage you to experiment with different techniques, rubs, sauces, etc. what I described above has worked more consistently for what I was looking for. Different folks have varying tastes.

Not sure what that cookbook was trying to convey but you cook the Chuck roast til it reaches an internal temp of 145. Then, wrap it and take it to that 195-205 temp. Even then, you should take the tip of your temperature probe and poke around different parts of the roast to make sure it’s tender. I’ve had to rewrap and cook longer, in 20-30 increments til that prove doesn’t encounter any resistance. That way I know it’s pull apart tender…I use two forks to shred it like I would with a pork shoulder/butt.

When I wrap at 145, I put the wrapped meat in an aluminum pan to collect any fat drippings from the roast, I do, sometimes put some liquid in the pan…apple juice for pork, beef broth for beef, a beer, a Coke, or a Dr Pepper.

My experience has been booking a Chuck roast or pork butt gets too dry for my liking if I don’t wrap. And that could be that I don’t spritz very often.

I encourage you to experiment with different techniques, rubs, sauces, etc. what I described above has worked more consistently for what I was looking for. Different folks have varying tastes.
…I like cooking the Chuck roasts. After shredding, you can use taco seasoning or a Mexican sauce (enchilada sauce) and do tacos, burritos, or use it to make a superb chili. Mix the shredded meat with warm marinara sauce (or your favorite…I like Rao’s) and serve it over spaghetti noodles. I’ve just gotten tired of ground beef in spaghetti sauce, in tacos, or in chili. Put some teriyaki sauce on it with some stir-fried veggies and serve it over rice.

The smoked Chuck shredded is versatile and will adapt easily to whatever seasoning or sauce you like to use it in a variety of dishes.

I agree 100%. I’m tired of ground beef spaghetti sauce. And I’ve done that same thing…using it for street tacos or fajitas.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back