Convection Issues

AHarmon

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I have a question for you guys about the smoker convection cooking feature. I like to smoke chicken pieces without the skin. The constant air movement through the smoker dries out the meat surface making it somewhat tough. I do not overcook it and the meat inside is moist and juicy, just the outside gets tough. After several cooks and including spritzing I am still experiencing this problem that I have never had on other traditional smokers I've owned that do not have forced air movement. I am thinking this may be an unavoidable characteristic of pellet smokers. But this is my first pellet smoker and my question is, do you guys experience this problem and what do you do about it?

If you're doing no skin, you could try lowering the cook temp. Cook it slower ?

My first thought is to sear it briefly with high heat then cook it on a low temp almost like you would do if you were braising it. I would also quit spritzing and try to refrain from opening the lid and thereby allowing the temp to drop and have to run more to climb back up.

I cook at low temperature, typically 225 and occasionally 210-215, but temperature isn't the problem, it's air blowing through the cooking chamber across the surface of the meat. I tried spritzing to keep the meat surface wet, but it apparently dries again out very quickly and I don't want to be constantly be opening the cooking chamber. I also tried a pan of hot water inside to introduce moisture, that didn't work well either, any moisture just blows out the smoke vents. I'm not so sure there is a solution to this problem because the fan cannot be controlled and is required for pellet combustion, so air is blowing all the time. I guess it's a characteristic of pellet smoking I didn't realize, so I'm going to have to live with it or return to a simple stick burner. Thanks for the replies though.

Well, I got something else then...haha...(oh, btw by using a lower temp the fan will also run less*)
I've found that lower temps with skin on keeps the skin moist and rubbery. One could cook skin on until a certain time, and then remove it before saucing or table.... Might be a hassle..might work?
Just an idea.

I agree. It's no komado. Probably resembles the convection of an offset more. I'm thinking some kind of glaze or basting fat to seal the surface would help. But tossing bare poultry into these things like you can with a BGE type cooker is just not going to work the same.

Get some thin cheap bacon and "dress" up your birds.
I get the same thing with skinless.

There's a Japanese yakitori restaurant near us that we frequent, which uses paper thin salt pork to wrap certain veggies. It seasons the veggie very well. I'm thinking about how I could do this and it strikes me that buying some paper thin sliced prosciutto from the local deli might fit the role very well.

Here’s a trick I learned in a large hotel kitchen many years ago. Lay an iceberg lettuce leaf over the breast and it will stay moist, it will still get all the smoke it needs.

Here’s a trick I learned in a large hotel kitchen many years ago. Lay an iceberg lettuce leaf over the breast and it will stay moist, it will still get all the smoke it needs.

Thanks for sharing your tip!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back