Cook timing question

STPLE

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I order my first smoker ever - RT700! Just arrived today. I have a total newbie question. What advice would you guys all give for a 8-10 pork butt cook to be ready at dinner time - 6pm etc? I’m confused with all the timing - some say 9-10 hours some say slower, etc. Is it better to start in the morning and cook faster (250 or so) or the night before at lower temps? Any advice for a someone totally new to this will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance and I can’t wait to try this out!!

I just put a 8-9 pounder on the pit at midnight last night at 225 deg....that puts it at 13 hours now and it is just sitting at 150 internal...it has risen 10 deg in the last 4 hours . Every piece of meat acts differently

I'd say 10-12 hours at that temp . Figure approx. 1.5-2hrs a pound. And I'd shoot for an internal temp of 190°-203° that's what ya have to watch.
You could always go to 325° cooking temp if ya had to . There's always a big stall in internal temp gain usually around 160-165° in my experience.jfyi.

@STPLE - Welcome and Congratulations!

It's one of those things where, you're not in a rush to finish, until you're in a rush to finish.. I personally set aside 1.5 hours per lb. at 225 to get to internal temp. of 165 or thereabouts and then pull / wrap in peach butcher paper, into a foil pan and covered with foil. Back in and boost temperature to 275 to 300 to finish in about 4 hours, pull at 200ish and let rest for 2 to 3 hours in a cooler insulated with towels.

Keep in mind the above is really a guide and nothing more, as NU2 said, each slab of meat cooks uniquely.

Thanks!! That really helps. I think I’ll plan on putting that stuff on the night before and not the morning of. Thanks I really appreciate the practical advice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back