Cooking without smoke ?

Rhodenius

I was thinking of getting an RT700, but I cook a lot for some people/idiots that don't like smoke and want to know if you can cook stuff such as steaks, chicken, hot dogs etc. without adding any smoke flavor. Currently I have a Big Green Egg and Weber propane. I would be replacing the Weber with the RT700. Thanks

Last edited:
It puts out less smoke as you increase temp.
400 and higher doesn't have "alot" in my opinion.
But you can't totally "shut off" smoke. It's burning wood as fuel. I'd order one for all your cool Smoker loving friends and keep a cheap grill handy for the haters *...hahaha

If you are cooking steaks, etc. on high-heat then you wont get much smoke to speak of. Gotta set temps low to get smoke.

As Buckeye said above me, your cooking with wood so it wont taste like a gas grill.

Well, if you're preparing meals for an audience whom you feel are idiots and they dislike your cooking style then your best option might be to change your company. I don't know how this can be answered by verbal feedback since smoke flavor is subjective.

Moved to the rectec for just that reason. I hate the taste of chicken that comes off my stick burner even though I run a clean fire.

On the rectec I start around 230 for 30 minutes and move to 300 to finish cooking chicken. Less smoke and it flavors the chicken without taking over.

Tonight I reversed seared steaks after cooking on 240 until 125 inside temp then took the steaks off and bumped up to 500 for searing.

Light smoke flavor was just right. on the filets

I have an amazen tube to use when I do pork and want smoke around 275.

I switched from a Weber Genesis Grill and a High End Electric Smoker, bought the 590 and I could not be happier. As others have said when you run 400-500 degrees not much smoke at all.
Greg

If your peeps like their steaks, chicken and hot dogs cooked over a charcoal grill, then you are in luck because a high heat cook with your 700 will actually have less smoke flavor than you would get over charcoal or any natural burning wood.

Moved to the rectec for just that reason. I hate the taste of chicken that comes off my stick burner even though I run a clean fire.

On the rectec I start around 230 for 30 minutes and move to 300 to finish cooking chicken. Less smoke and it flavors the chicken without taking over.

Tonight I reversed seared steaks after cooking on 240 until 125 inside temp then took the steaks off and bumped up to 500 for searing.

At what temp would the chicken be ready to eat? (How long @ 300? )

USDA recommends 165 min.

I was thinking of getting an RT700, but I cook a lot for some people/idiots that don't like smoke and want to know if you can cook stuff such as steaks, chicken, hot dogs etc. without adding any smoke flavor. Currently I have a Big Green Egg and Weber propane. I would be replacing the Weber with the RT700. Thanks
Rodenius, did you pull the trigger? If so, thoughts? I am in the same boat, half the family likes smoke & other half not at all. Love the idea of a pellet but this is to replace my Weber genesis so still on the fence

Completely agree...never had an issue with stick burner for pork or beef...chicken was a different story. Can’t wait to try it on the Rec Tec

As the crowd said, way less smoke at high temps which is where you want to do chicken if you want crispy skin. I have had the egg for the last 25 years. It's a great grill and smoker. Super high temps when needed to sear, can smoke all day at low temps. The bull is a different kind of animal :D. Low exact temps all day, pretty good sear at 500 degrees. Have fun??

For more smoke at high heat I just throw some pellets on the pan!
Best Greg

Rodenius, did you pull the trigger? If so, thoughts? I am in the same boat, half the family likes smoke & other half not at all. Love the idea of a pellet but this is to replace my Weber genesis so still on the fence

Are you guys getting rid of the propanes? No chance you could keep both?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back