Bull Cooking without the drip tray

Daniel Watson

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hello all,
This is my first post here. A google search didn’t turn up any info on this, so I figured I’d ask you all. I’m following a recipe that wants a tray under the meat to catch drippings, but the tray is too big to fit between the drip tray and the grates. Has anyone experimented with cooking with the drip tray removed? I worry it might cause hot spots. If this is a bad idea I guess I’ll try elevating the grill grates maybe with some bricks.

Thanks
Dan

tray with rack.jpg

I have not tried to cook with the drip tray removed. My concern with doing that would be your pan would probably sit right on the heat deflector. That heat deflector would be pretty hot, so your pan would need to be pretty sturdy. Just my thoughts, others might have better info.

I'd have to agree with @cookingjnj and the drip tray act as a heat dispenser

If your smoking a trukey or chicken and the recipe calls for drippings from the smoke what I do is buy some smoked drum sticks from the grocery store.. they'll be two or three in a pack located in the meat section..

With the drums in hand take a pan with some olive oil, heat the oil to medium heat, add the drums. Once you start seeing drippings and chunks come off the drums let it cook for a little bit longer...

Take drums off the pan, add some chicken stock to the pan. Stir and mix all the drippings and chunks..

Just my 2 cents..

Reactions: Kim

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back