Dent 340

slothritis

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
I received my 340 today. I was so excited. Turns out I have a dent on the barrel. Anyone know how to fix it.? I called them they offered to send a new one, but I have to send it back. But it’s difficult for me to do that because I have a disability. So can anyone give me advice on to maybe remove the dent. I will post pictures.

Attachments

• 81B848B8-FE6A-47B5-AD07-FBDC4A7B7A70.jpeg
    81B848B8-FE6A-47B5-AD07-FBDC4A7B7A70.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 179
  • 36ECD378-56C3-407F-96FE-B2C62686832B.jpeg
    36ECD378-56C3-407F-96FE-B2C62686832B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 118
  • C3A96E6E-C105-4E22-8CCF-F23948CAC69F.jpeg
    C3A96E6E-C105-4E22-8CCF-F23948CAC69F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
  • D9A4A039-4D8B-4C90-8139-282E425FF65E.jpeg
    D9A4A039-4D8B-4C90-8139-282E425FF65E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 129
  • 296914BD-9E42-47E1-80F8-ECA8F6F016A1.jpeg
    296914BD-9E42-47E1-80F8-ECA8F6F016A1.jpeg
    907.4 KB · Views: 115
I agree. That's a nasty dent and would take some good "body" work to get it out. Make RT take care of it. Call them, let them know your situation with your health and see if they can have someone from the shipping company come pack it back up for you...just a thought. RT is an amazing company so iam sure they help make it right..

I called them, I told them about my situation. They told me to do the burn in. Then do an another temp test to see if it holds its temperature.

I’m just wondering there is no way to fix it. I’m really dreading having to send it back.
Stainless steel is a PITA to repair, have it come out correctly and have the repair last, especially when heat and cold expansion cycles are involved. Looking at the 4th and 5th picture you posted you can see the lid already doesn't seal correctly. I'm all for fixing things, EX auto/truck technician speaking here but I pick and choose my battles and the area your grill is damaged is not easily fixable for a long lasting repair. I guarantee you will be second guessing this grill down the road if other issues arise if you don't have Rec Tec send you a new undamaged grill. It wouldn't surprise me if you contacted Ray Carnes the Co Founder at Rec Tec about your disability's and hardships with packing it back up that they wouldn't contact someone in your area to help with it, that's the way this company works and takes care of it's customers.

Last edited:
Stainless steel is a PITA to repair, have it come out correctly and have the repair last, especially when heat and cold expansion cycles are involved. Looking at the 4th and 5th picture you posted you can see the lid already doesn't seal correctly. I'm all for fixing things, EX auto/truck technician speaking here but I pick and choose my battles and the area your grill is damaged is not easily fixable for a long lasting repair. I guarantee you will be second guessing this grill down the road if other issues arise if you don't have Rec Tec send you a new undamaged grill. It wouldn't surprise me if you contacted Ray Carnes the Co Founder at Rec Tec about your disability's and hardships with packing it back up that they wouldn't contact someone in your area to help with it, that's the way this company works and takes care of it's customers.
Best advice you will get about this. There is no way I would keep that grill and try to make it work.

Ray's feeding you BS. Any metal that gets dented like that is stretched and when you straighten it it will still be distorted. Why not take this up with the claims dept. of the shipper?? I'm pretty sure RT doesn't ship grills like that.
Mike

Wow, Thats a big dent, see if you could find a neighbor kid to help you pack it for 20 bucks. I would send it back

There is no way in hell that I would accept that. And it surprises the hell out of me that one of the owner's is recommending that you try and fix it. Unacceptable to say the least.

Did you send him a pic of it so that he can see how jacked up it is?

I called them, I told them about my situation. They told me to do the burn in. en do an another temp test to see if it holds its temperature.
lol, then They didn’t see your pics I take it... No way in hell I would spend $1200 and accept this as “I can fix it”. Did you drop it or did the box look like it fell off the truck, TWICE? This isn’t a minor ding, this falls into the totaled category. Surly someone was helping you or Gonna help you with assembling right? if you are in a situation you cant rebox it for a return It would be very hard for you to assemble it by yourself I would think. If your in the Dayton Ohio area I’ll be glad to help you out getting it ready for freight pickup to return... But please dont accept this especially since RT is offering to exchange it for you...

lol, then They didn’t see your pics I take it... No way in hell I would spend $1200 and accept this as “I can fix it”. Did you drop it or did the box look like it fell off the truck, TWICE? This isn’t a minor ding, this falls into the totaled category. Surly someone was helping you or Gonna help you with assembling right? if you are in a situation you cant rebox it for a return It would be very hard for you to assemble it by yourself I would think. If your in the Dayton Ohio area I’ll be glad to help you out getting it ready for freight pickup to return... But please dont accept this especially since RT is offering to exchange it for you...
The RT340 Trailblazer grill he got wasn't $1200 but was still $600. What I find strange is the OP has a problem with packing it up to send it back due to a disability but is willing and able to fix the damage, sorry that's not a easy repair. I said earlier I pick and choose battles and technically I am partially disabled too and would try to repair everything and anything but this grill the OP received is well beyond a long lasting easy repair.

Last edited:
The OP hasn’t been back here for over a week now, so who knows what’s up? IMO, I find it suspect that Ray would ever look at those photos and respond that it’s an easy fix for the purchaser.

The OP hasn’t been back here for over a week now, so who knows what’s up? IMO, I find it suspect that Ray would ever look at those photos and respond that it’s an easy fix for the purchaser.
Agree, Rec Tec and Ray Carnes doesn't operate like this.

Last edited:
I don't think he sent photos. Otherwise, their exchange would've been completely different. I'm certained of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back