Do pellets lose flavor?

Mtwillis

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey All,

Anxiously awaiting my new RecTec RT-700 arriving later this week. I’m upgrading from a 6 year old GMG that had horrible problems maintaining a consistent temp across the grill surface. As such, the GMG hasn’t been used much in the past couple years and I have several bags of 100% hickory, apple and mesquite wood pellets all properly stored (still shiny and pass the “snap” test).

My question for the pro’s - will these 4 year old pellets still retain the same flavor profiles if I use them in the new Bull or should I spring for new pellets? I learned early it’s better to either cook with 100% pellets or create my own “blend” mixing 100% pellets to get the smoke flavor I want. I was never happy with the pre-blended pellets because I couldn’t really taste the smoke on the meat.

Any feedback or lessons-learned appreciated!

Thanks!!!

I am going to say that no they will not loose their flavor. Do I have scientific proof, well no, But... if they have been properly stored, are still in good shape that they will be just fine. If and its a big if there is any loss of flavor it will be minimal, again, in my opinion. I have some pellets I have in smaller 5# and less bags from way back when I first got one of my tray smokers 7 years ago that I still use to cold smoke cheese, the flavor I get from these is as good as the day I got them.
Burn them pellets up and enjoy your new Rec Tec!

Hey All,

Anxiously awaiting my new RecTec RT-700 arriving later this week. I’m upgrading from a 6 year old GMG that had horrible problems maintaining a consistent temp across the grill surface. As such, the GMG hasn’t been used much in the past couple years and I have several bags of 100% hickory, apple and mesquite wood pellets all properly stored (still shiny and pass the “snap” test).

My question for the pro’s - will these 4 year old pellets still retain the same flavor profiles if I use them in the new Bull or should I spring for new pellets? I learned early it’s better to either cook with 100% pellets or create my own “blend” mixing 100% pellets to get the smoke flavor I want. I was never happy with the pre-blended pellets because I couldn’t really taste the smoke on the meat.

Any feedback or lessons-learned appreciated!

Thanks!!!
I'm pretty sure your going to be fine, now exclaimer here if the pellets are wet, turned into sawdust, moldy, or the dog or cat relived them self's on them, if that's the case than I would recommend to get fresh pellets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back