Pork Dry Ribs

I have not wrapped my ribs in a while now. I set temp at 235 for three hours or so. I usually spritz with a little apple juice 45 every minutes when I remember. If I am out during the cook, they don't get spritzed. After they have smoked three - 3.5 hours and have as much smoke as they are going to get, I crank the heat up to 275. When I start to see the meat pulling from the bone (usually about 2 hours) I do the break test, and if the meat is starting to crack during the break test, I sauce the ribs and back on for about 30 more minutes to set the sauce. The last three or four times I have cooked this way the ribs have had perfect amount of smoke, great bite and chew, and very moist and juicy. Not sure, but I might have posted pics of this type cook a while back.
Great post...........I haven't wrapped either in years. I usually run at 225F. myself and let it ride till done. However I'm under a bit of a time restraint this weekend, taking a some ribs over to a friends house. So, I'm going to use your 235F for a few hours then up to 275F till done technique. I'm all about trying out new cooking methods........even though at this point in my life I'm rather set in my ways in all aspects! :ROFLMAO:

With that said if your version comes out as good or better, I'll run with it and not look back! (y)

7-8 hours is long for ribs. I don't think the trimming has a lot to do with the length of time cooking, generally. Have you checked your grill temp with another device to insure probe accuracy. Usually 4-5-6 hr depending on temp, if you wrap, how often you spritz. Each time you open the pit you lose temp and increase cooking time. Get a beverage and a chair, some good music or conversation, and let the ribs bask in their own glory. ??

@cookingjnj

Gave your above rib technique a shot yesterday, I needed my racks guaranteed done a little quicker and on time. Normally I don't like to rush my cooking but I was taking them over to a friends house. They came out great, everyone loved them.

20200613_181617.jpg

20200613_181543.jpg

Following your 235°F/275°F steps I had 2 large racks of untrimmed spares, I only remove the membrane. My homemade rib rub and a very light sauce added to them the last hour or so. Total cook time around 4 1/2 - 5hrs. to where my racks were done to my liking. I don't wrap my ribs and they had great bite, nice bark and pull. Everyone loved them! ?

They look amazing. Perfect color. You have some pretty lucky friends. I'm hoping they provided the appropriate beverages. Nice work. I'm doing boneless beef ribs today. I saw a recipe for brisket poutine sandwiches on sourdough buns. I've gotta try that. ??

They look amazing. Perfect color. You have some pretty lucky friends. I'm hoping they provided the appropriate beverages. Nice work. I'm doing boneless beef ribs today. I saw a recipe for brisket poutine sandwiches on sourdough buns. I've gotta try that. ??
They sure did! (y)

Man, your poutine sandwich idea sounds AWESOME......great idea! :D

Glad it worked out I-Man. I have only cooked ribs without foiling now, and they always have come out great. Glad your friends like them as well.
Yes Sir! I gave up wrapping in foil or butcher paper on a regular a long time ago. I personally don't like what it does to my crunchy bark, pull and bite. Plus, it adds an extra step to my process (lazy BBQ'er). To each their own! (y)

Great info guys. I with be trying NJ's method to minus the spritzing. Son is in hospital so I'm gonna have youngest boy pull the Trailblazer out, I'll fire it up with the app and have him throw the ribs on. Wife will come to hospital right after lunch (only allowed 1 visitor do to Covid, so taking turns). What to get them done by 4 get a quick sample before heading back.

I usually do 321 so this will be a trial. Will not spritzing hurt any? I will be using Jeff's rub without the mustard binder. Didn't want to wake everyone up this morning at 4 making too much noise in the kitchen. So I put the ru b on and put back in refrigerator.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back