Electrical load - for UPS sizing

Roaniecowpony

Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
We get a lot of power fluctuations and outages around my neighborhood. The tv/ent sys is on a UPS as well as our computer. Im thinking I want to add an uninterruptable power supply (UPS) to the competition cart, but I don't know what the power requirement is when the fan is running. Anyone have any idea? RT doesn't seem to have that information on their site.

After ignition, very minimum being just the auger pulse and fan. You may want to just cook utilizing a car battery and an inverter. No worries that way.

When I fire-up the Bull I'll attach my single-outlet energy meter logger and look at its reported max draw unless you receive other answers beforehand. Just for reference, on Traeger's FAQ section they specify a 400 watt pure sine wave inverter.

Thanks Fletch, I know the max draw will be with the ceramic ignitor running, but my interest would be when the ignitor is off and the fan is running full and the auger is feeding.

I've fired-up the Bull a few times since this post but I've misplaced my energy logger :rolleyes:. I bought it a couple years ago when I was comparing two portable induction cooktops. I'll find it someday when I'm searching for another lost item and in the meantime I still have a note on my desk to check the current draw. I have a whole-house energy monitor but it's not set up to log individual circuits.

I would check with Rec Tec Support, But I did find a thread that said you would need a 500 watt ups. It said that in the first 5 minutes the unit would draw 350 watts.

A few other searches showed 400 watts would do the trick. Let us know what you find out from customer service.
Greg

Last edited:
22 watts with just fan running
38 watts with fan and auger running
It uses around 120 watts on start up
I have run my Bull using just a SU620NET APC UPS it has a output of 390 watts and had no problems.

Attachments

• 20190803_144744.mp4
    7.7 MB
22 watts with just fan running
38 watts with fan and auger running
It uses around 120 watts on start up
I have run my Bull using just a SU620NET APC UPS it has a output of 390 watts and had no problems.

How long and at what temperature did you run the bull on? Im looking at doing this also

....old thread, I know, but wondering if y'all think something like this would work to keep the Bull running.....

APC Back-UPS ES550​

00y0y_acJUCuxcPz8z_0CI0qK_600x450.jpg

550 VA/330W.....I've spent a lot of time in data centers around a lot of UPS', but I just deal with the stuff that plugs into them! :)

@Mastertech59
@bfletcher

R

....old thread, I know, but wondering if y'all think something like this would work to keep the Bull running.....

APC Back-UPS ES550​

Yep! Can actually run both a 380 and a 300 for over an hour after initial ignition. Had my 300 running for a couple hours just to test it, worked just fine. Figuring out how I'm going to waterproof one so I can keep it outside...

120 watts is only one amp at 120 volts. That’s not much. It’s about like running two 60 watt incandescent light bulbs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back