Stampede Everyone happy with rectec pellets?

aamike68

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hey guys and gals! So once I got my stampede I had a few days till my pallet of 200lb ultimate blend rectec pellets arrived, So I went out and bought a 20lb bag of lumberjack competition blend to hold me over till my rectec bags arrived. Enjoyed a few cooks with the lumberjacks and really loved the aroma and amount of smoke it put off. Cooked a butt and some chicken since receiving my rectec ultimate blend and I can immediately tell the difference in aroma and amount of smoke. Honestly the rectec pellets dont really smell all that great, and im feeling a little bummed I dropped all that cash and have a ton of pellets to cook through. Not trying to complain too much, I guess im just a little disapointed because those lumberjack pellets were amazing. I should have held off on buying the pallet from rectec. Any thoughts? What kind of pellets do you guys use? cheers!

Hey guys and gals! So once I got my stampede I had a few days till my pallet of 200lb ultimate blend rectec pellets arrived, So I went out and bought a 20lb bag of lumberjack competition blend to hold me over till my rectec bags arrived. Enjoyed a few cooks with the lumberjacks and really loved the aroma and amount of smoke it put off. Cooked a butt and some chicken since receiving my rectec ultimate blend and I can immediately tell the difference in aroma and amount of smoke. Honestly the rectec pellets dont really smell all that great, and im feeling a little bummed I dropped all that cash and have a ton of pellets to cook through. Not trying to complain too much, I guess im just a little disapointed because those lumberjack pellets were amazing. I should have held off on buying the pallet from rectec. Any thoughts? What kind of pellets do you guys use? cheers!
The Rec Tec pellets were ok but I don't think I would make a order unless there was a deal I couldn't refuse. There are other options out there that are just as good or better for less money.

I'm gonna say no.
I've tried pit boss, traeger, camp chef, cookn pellets, Lumberjack's, and Bear Mountain.
Lumberjack has been the winner not only on over all result but price also.
Bear mountain is also close, but more expensive and in my area harder to get.
With lumberjack You can get 100% wood no fillers or mixes in some of their flavors.
I'd say this chart is actually pretty accurate although I haven't tried the BBQ Delights which are also expensive compared to the others. Also I would rate BM above cookn...Jmo.
chart.png

So here my take on it, I bought my Bull last year and ordered it with 400# of RT pellets. No complaints at all, but also nothing to compare it to as this was my first pellet grill. Now fast forward to Spring 2020 and I’m out of pellets, bought 300# of the Lumberjack brand from my local Rural King and I confess I’m scratching my head about them. Flavor is good, bought the charcoal blend, the 100% hickory, and the competition blend. No complaints with the smoke they provide...

However, they appear to burn so fast that I’m looking to make sure there is not a hole in my pellet hopper, and I now need to vacuum the ash out of my pit after almost every cook. I‘m ready to place an order for 400# of RT pellets because I’m not that pleased with the LJ brand. I’m ready to place another order with RT myself.

So here my take on it, I bought my Bull last year and ordered it with 400# of RT pellets. No complaints at all, but also nothing to compare it to as this was my first pellet grill. Now fast forward to Spring 2020 and I’m out of pellets, bought 300# of the Lumberjack brand from my local Rural King and I confess I’m scratching my head about them. Flavor is good, bought the charcoal blend, the 100% hickory, and the competition blend. No complaints with the smoke they provide...

However, they appear to burn so fast that I’m looking to make sure there is not a hole in my pellet hopper, and I now need to vacuum the ash out of my pit after almost every cook. I‘m ready to place an order for 400# of RT pellets because I’m not that pleased with the LJ brand. I’m ready to place another order with RT myself.
Good info Greg thanks for sharing.......I just ordered 320# of LJ pellets of mainly 100% varieties, cherry, hickory, etc. from my local dealer for $19.99 a 40# bag delivered + tax. I've never used LJ before and I'm very interested to see how LJ performs.

I bought The 200# with grill. They are just ok IMO. When doing higher temp cooks where you don't get as much smoke I use RT pellets, I use LJ in Amazen tube to get what is wanted.

I have a 20 pound bag of Lumber Jack competition blend pellets that I haven't opened yet so I can't comment on them but the cheap Pit Boss pellets I've been using work great and are locally available or ship for free.

thanks for all the great replies guys, I think once I burn through my RT pellets Ill be buying a few bags of Lumberjacks. Im just starting my pellet grill journey so no rush and no worries!

thanks for all the great replies guys, I think once I burn through my RT pellets Ill be buying a few bags of Lumberjacks. Im just starting my pellet grill journey so no rush and no worries!
I'm all about trying new varieties of pellets, I burn through them quickly so even though I enjoy the Rec Tec pellets at almost $40 for 40#'s it's a bit prohibitive to use them when say LJ pellets are $20 a 40# bag. Provided they are decent of course. But, from the posts and reviews I'm hopeful!

I'm all about trying new varieties of pellets, I burn through them quickly so even though I enjoy the Rec Tec pellets at almost $40 for 40#'s it's a bit prohibitive to use them when say LJ pellets are $20 a 40# bag. Provided they are decent of course. But, from the posts and reviews I'm hopeful!
The Rec Tec pellets work great but agree on the $$

As far as ash buildup and temp controls , I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary from the RT to LJ or cooking pellets. This is my first pellet smoker, as I also have a stick burner. The smoke isn't as pronounced with pellets as with wood, but I liked the RT blend and may use again. I'm now just trying out single varieties to see what I like the best.

I agree, the rectec pellets re ok, I'm a fan of LJ. The charcoal/hickory is good as are am nay of their others. I used the rec tec pellets that came with the bull. They were/good. Out Dicks has lumberjack for curbside pick-up and usually a good price ??

I'm now just trying out single varieties to see what I like the best.
Same here on the LJ single variety pellets. I want to become familiar with flavors that particular wood's impart to the meat I'm cooking. I can tell the difference in some woods flavor but could use some more knowledge on others.

Just now burning through the Rec Tec pellets I had. Got Cookin' Pellets this week. First time being able to compare. I'll post thoughts after a few cooks.

No I don't see anything special about them

While I have owned many smokers over the years, in Feb I ordered my first pellet smoker the 590. I did allot of research on pellets and ended up buy the Lumber Jack competition and Pecan pellets (could not find any real good reviews on the Rec Tec brand). Dick's Sporting Goods had 20% off of $100, so the price was also good.

Overall I was pretty happy with them, but it seemed like it took a really long time for the smoker to get to 500 (60 minutes, outside temp 70 degrees). I called Rec Tec support and they suggested using another brand. Not many choices for pellets where I live, so Rec Tec sent me a bag to try out. While I am still testing, I did burgers last night and the Stampede got to 500 degrees in 30 minutes.

The Lumber Jack and Rec Tec both have the same BTU 8500, the LJ have 1.5 % ash, RT -1%. Also the Rec Tec pellets are a big larger. The Lumber Jack are less expensive!

Sounds like the BBQ Delight get good reviews, but at $48.00 for 40 lbs, on the high end.
Best Greg

Has anyone used B&B 40 lb Championship Blend Pellet Grill Fuel?
https://bbcharcoal.com/pellets-faq/
I have found several reviews that say B&B pellets are simply rebranded BBQr's Delight pellets. Video of their pellets
40 lbs at Academy Sports, $14.99.
Best Greg

Last edited:
Bear Mountain. They burn hotter with a lot less ash

Sounds like the BBQ Delight get good reviews, but at $48.00 for 40 lbs, on the high end.

Definitely, $48 isn't bad if you use a 40# bag every month or two but if you cook a lot it adds up!

P.S. Thanks for posting all your recipes in the recipe section. They've given me a bunch of good ideas.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back