Extra Smokestack

I'm no physics expert, but I would think it would help with even heat distribution since these grills are fueled from the middle. But I do have some experience with PID and with the extra airflow you might be burning more pellets or maybe less. PID compensation is amazing.

Only real way to tell is with an experiment. Haha.

Throw some temp probes on each side and let it come to a temp and hold it for a while and see what they read. Another experiment you would also need to weigh pellets to see how much it burns compared to a stock grill. Could block off the added stack temporarily to test.

If you're up for it. It does look damn good!

Last edited:
I would think if you felt there was a problem with excessive air draft, you could just screw down on the stack caps. But, ultimately if you just wanted the look, don't bother with cutting the hole... Problem solved with air flow. You can always come back later and cut the hole. You just gave me an idea for my new grill (that hasn't come in yet)!

It has been almost 8 months with the extra stack on the Bull. The pellet usage has not changed. I still go through the same number of bags as before and the temperature has evened out across the grill. Still a little hotter on the ends, but not by much. The grill holds steady temps, as I also use a "Thermoworks Smoke" to monitor grill temp. Before, when I, "Sealed The Lid", the Bull would not run steady. It had a lot of dips and spikes in temp. It was hotter on the right side also. This got me thinking about the extra stack. It was like the Bull couldn't breathe, and was forcing all the heat to the right side. The extra stack, to me at least, cured my lows and spikes. And this was after I removed the seal on the lid. The lid still leaks, but not nearly as much. I like the way it looks too.

Last edited:
Nice info to know... Thanks for the update. Your post got me to thinking and it just makes sense, plus like yourself, I think it looks better (more balanced). I'm going to have to borrow your idea!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back