Bull Faux-strami, CB, and some ribs

rgreenberg2000

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Fired up the grill yesterday to put some smoke on my faux-strami (corned beef, soaked in water 24 hours to de-salt, dusted with black pepper/coriander/garlic powder) and "Canadian bacon" (quotes because this isn't really what Canadians would call it.....). Since I was going to be running the pit anyway, I called a couple neighbors to let them know I had space for them.

@BethV, I used the same cure on the CB that I shared with you for bacon (1.7% salt, .25% cure #1, 1% sugar). 8 days in the fridge, a quick rinse, and the salt level was perfect!

Faux-strami up top, my neighbor's spare ribs on the bottom (Canadian bacon was in the smokebox.....forgot a pic):

1614631171715.jpeg

Didn't get a finished sparerib picture, but they took about 5.25 hours at 240F (small racks.) Took the faux-strami to 170F, wrapped until 195F, then cooler rested and chilled over night:

1614631224276.jpeg

Canadian bacon took about 7 hours to get to 155F (moved to main chamber when it stalled out around 140F), wrapped/rested, then chilled overnight:

1614631260580.jpeg

My other neighbor brought over a rack of baby backs:

1614631281335.jpeg

This morning, I busted out my Beswood 10" deli slicer (one of the best CL finds I've made!), and got everything ready for packaging:

1614631314318.jpeg

1614631324740.jpeg

It was a gorgeous Sunday yesterday, and a great day to tend the grill, visit with friends, etc. Thanks for looking!

Rich

Canadian bacon looks great, sorry if I missed it, but what temp did you smoke it at before moving it to the main chamber?

Canadian bacon looks great, sorry if I missed it, but what temp did you smoke it at before moving it to the main chamber?
Bret, the smokebox was running at about 155F, with the main chamber at 240F. Since 155 was my target temp, I knew it would stall out eventually, and it did. Took about an hour to finish up at 240F.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back