Bull First chicken wings

hallsofmontezuma

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Brined 6 hours.
50 minutes at 180.
Crank it up to 425 and toss them in a small bit of sauce.
90 minutes total cooking time until 170 internal.

They had a nice smokey flavor,

IMG_0363.jpeg

Looks good. Next time you might try leaving them on until about 190° internal temperature if you want crisper skin.

Thanks. Wouldn’t that result in an overcooked interior?
No, chicken fat doesn't dry out easily. At 190 - 200° the meat will pull clean off the bone but not dry. You could pull a few off at 180°, then a few a little later at 190° and see what the temp difference does to the skin and interior and decide what you prefer.

By the way, I’m only referring to wings and thighs. Breasts will dry out pretty quickly above 165° because they are so lean.

No, chicken fat doesn't dry out easily. At 190 - 200° the meat will pull clean off the bone but not dry. You could pull a few off at 180°, then a few a little later at 190° and see what the temp difference does to the skin and interior and decide what you prefer.

By the way, I’m only referring to wings and thighs. Breasts will dry out pretty quickly above 165° because they are so lean.

I completely agree, I still get very juicy wings, legs, thighs at 190-195 and the skin comes out better in my opinion.

I completely agree, I still get very juicy wings, legs, thighs at 190-195 and the skin comes out better in my opinion.

Ok last night I cooked some bone-in thighs to 190 and they were the best I've ever had. You have made me a believer. :)

Brined 6 hours.
50 minutes at 180.
Crank it up to 425 and toss them in a small bit of sauce.
90 minutes total cooking time until 170 internal.

They had a nice smokey flavor,

View attachment 5228
I like wings cooked at 400 for 30-35 minutes.
McCormicks dry buffalo wing spice in a ziplock prior to cooking.
Simple and outstanding.

I like wings cooked at 400 for 30-35 minutes.
McCormicks dry buffalo wing spice in a ziplock prior to cooking.
Simple and outstanding.
That's a good way to go as well, but I wanted to get the smokey flavor from 180 for a while, before cranking it up for crispyness.

Ok last night I cooked some bone-in thighs to 190 and they were the best I've ever had. You have made me a believer. :)
Those look tasty !!! What temp did you cook at and did the skin crisp up ? I’m still doing thighs on my charcoal grill to get the almost burnt skin

Those look tasty !!! What temp did you cook at and did the skin crisp up ? I’m still doing thighs on my charcoal grill to get the almost burnt skin
I'd say they were reasonably crispy. I certainly wouldn't mistake it for fried, but it got the job done.

I brined them for 6 hours in a solution of 2 tbsp salt per 1 cup water.
Applied a bit of cayenne pepper and Rendezvous seasoning.
180 for 80 minutes for optimum smoke.
425 until 120 minutes total (thighs ranged from 177-189 internal)

A little shake in cornstarch with a tsp of baking soda and let rest in fridge overnight. Will crisp up almost like deep fried.

I personally do a 50/50 mixture of soy sauce and orange juice and marinade overnight. Cook at 400 for 40-60 minutes. I just watch them and turn them a few times after the first 30 minutes. Because of the juice sugars it can go from close to being ready to burnt so keep an eye on them when they look close to done. This is our favorite on the Big Green Egg (indirect) but haven’t tried it yet on my new 700. Should be bout the same. I go by color and not temp. It’s hard to over cook wings, its like a pork butt in that regard.

A little shake in cornstarch with a tsp of baking soda and let rest in fridge overnight. Will crisp up almost like deep fried.

I personally do a 50/50 mixture of soy sauce and orange juice and marinade overnight. Cook at 400 for 40-60 minutes. I just watch them and turn them a few times after the first 30 minutes. Because of the juice sugars it can go from close to being ready to burnt so keep an eye on them when they look close to done. This is our favorite on the Big Green Egg (indirect) but haven’t tried it yet on my new 700. Should be bout the same. I go by color and not temp. It’s hard to over cook wings, its like a pork butt in that regard.
I've done the cornstarch and baking powder with a little kosher salt and had great results but never used baking soda Using baking soda wouldn't it give a metallic taste to the wings

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back