Bull First cook tonight on my RT-700

Jeffhoppy

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Wow. The Bull is a beast of a grill. My kids and wife overruled the naming of the new dog so welcome to the family Spike, looking forward to many good dinners served up from your grates.

Spike arrived in under 7days all the way to suburbs of Toronto. Delivery easy and the driver put right into the garage without asking. Assembly was pretty easy but agree with other recommendations to print out the manual. The pics on paper were easier than trying to see on phone. Sorry RECTEC the videos are not thorough enough in my opinion, especially for the hardware screws & bolts part. The competition cart took more time than the Bull did for me, mostly due to the black machine screws that seemed a little not up to the task. Really had to get the torque just right on the drill to prevent stripping the head before fully seated. All worked out though and glad there were a few extra in the bag because I needed them! Fully assembled took me about an hour by myself and only had help lifting onto the cart.

Now for the cooking. Got a batch of chicken thighs and wings on now. Temps are spot on - grill and tamp probes tested perfectly (within about 3’). Windy today and the grill is steady on at my set temp - amazing.

Did some reading about difficulty with crispy skin so I am trying out some of the recommended tricks from the forum. Did the baking powder mixed in with rub method with some, and just rub with some.

One thing noticed was lid open to put everything on the grill the temp dropped fair bit and then overshot by good 50-60’ and took a while to settle back in to set temp. Seems definitely have to watch how long lid is open.

Pic and taste report to follow.

Thanks for reading. Let me know any thoughts on the temp swings after times with lid open.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 121
First, welcome to the forum. A lot of good people lithesome pretty good skills. Looks like things are on the right track. You will love having Spike. So many options and the comp cart is the way to go. I did have a little trouble with some of the little black screws, too. It's all good, you are up and cooking. Send pics and recipes whenever you can. We all like
to drool! ??

Welcome! As mentioned above great site, can't go wrong here. Helpful, positive folks with a ton of knowledge they're willing to share to help you enjoy your new Bull. As with any new item there's a learning curve which with a little practice getting to know how your grill operates won't be long. You won't regret getting it.

Welcome sounds like Spike found a nice home in the great north. The grill will drop temperature with the lid open and then overshoot some after its closed, this is normal and I find the overshoot is more noticeable at lower cooking temperatures. Some people will first turn the controllers temperature down before opening the lid do what they need to do close the lid and reset the controller temperature.

Wow. The Bull is a beast of a grill. My kids and wife overruled the naming of the new dog so welcome to the family Spike, looking forward to many good dinners served up from your grates.

Spike arrived in under 7days all the way to suburbs of Toronto. Delivery easy and the driver put right into the garage without asking. Assembly was pretty easy but agree with other recommendations to print out the manual. The pics on paper were easier than trying to see on phone. Sorry RECTEC the videos are not thorough enough in my opinion, especially for the hardware screws & bolts part. The competition cart took more time than the Bull did for me, mostly due to the black machine screws that seemed a little not up to the task. Really had to get the torque just right on the drill to prevent stripping the head before fully seated. All worked out though and glad there were a few extra in the bag because I needed them! Fully assembled took me about an hour by myself and only had help lifting onto the cart.

Now for the cooking. Got a batch of chicken thighs and wings on now. Temps are spot on - grill and tamp probes tested perfectly (within about 3’). Windy today and the grill is steady on at my set temp - amazing.

Did some reading about difficulty with crispy skin so I am trying out some of the recommended tricks from the forum. Did the baking powder mixed in with rub method with some, and just rub with some.

One thing noticed was lid open to put everything on the grill the temp dropped fair bit and then overshot by good 50-60’ and took a while to settle back in to set temp. Seems definitely have to watch how long lid is open.

Pic and taste report to follow.

Thanks for reading. Let me know any thoughts on the temp swings after times with lid open.
Hello Jeffhoppy from another soon (Hopefully) Bull owner. Just wondering who you used to ship Grill to Canada? I'm 1 hour north of you (Lake Simcoe). This has been my only hold up, how to get it here in these times.
Enjoy your grill and look forward to sharing my stories with you.

Hello Jeffhoppy from another soon (Hopefully) Bull owner. Just wondering who you used to ship Grill to Canada? I'm 1 hour north of you (Lake Simcoe). This has been my only hold up, how to get it here in these times.
Enjoy your grill and look forward to sharing my stories with you.
Hi Ignite. Actually RecTec did all of the shipping arrangements for me via UPS freight. Just give them a call and ask for Ryan and he will take good care of you. Note that given the travel bans, the only way to get it right now is shipping the whole way so you will get hit full tilt on the duty and taxes. If you can wait till travel lifted then you can head to Buffalo or Lewiston and bring it back yourself and likely avoid some of the duty. All in $$$ was still cheaper for this quality of a product than you can find up here in stores.

Welcome sounds like Spike found a nice home in the great north. The grill will drop temperature with the lid open and then overshoot some after its closed, this is normal and I find the overshoot is more noticeable at lower cooking temperatures. Some people will first turn the controllers temperature down before opening the lid do what they need to do close the lid and reset the controller temperature.
Good tip on the control temp adjustment before opening door. Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back