First steaks on the Rec Tec - Reverse sear going on now

Kim

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I have them on extreme smoke right now and it's running about 180. There is a good blue smoke going on. I didn't fool with hooking up probes for steak but I will check them with the thermopen in about an hour. Tonight's journey involves using the sear plates for the first time and I wasn't sure if I should put them on before or after I smoked them so I sprayed them with Canola and stuck them on to smoke too.

My phone takes crappy food pics but I will try to get some after I sear them and before they are gone. :D

Thats awesome...I love doing the reverse sear on steaks now. I usually put the steak on with one of the probes....I use the extreme smoke setting for an hour then bump the temp to 250 till the internal on the steak is 125-130 then sear it. comes out great! Cant wait to see yours!!
You got me wanting steaks again now...LOL

I was actually just thinking about bumping the temp a bit because the smoke is not a good clean blue anymore. Billows of white smoke.

It may look like that but I promise its not bitter. I thought that too the first time I did it but I hung in there and bumped after the hour

Ok you asked for it. I don't do so well with making a pretty plate or taking pictures though so you have been warned.

First picture is when I took them out of the smoke and was waiting for the grill to heat up. The veggies were leftover from the night before and I threw a couple of pieces of leftover back on them and put them back on the smoker for a second go around.

Steak and veggies were both awesome. I love the Rec Tec Heffer Dust.

Attachments

• IMG_20190811_202706831.jpg
    IMG_20190811_202706831.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20190811_210758677.jpg
    IMG_20190811_210758677.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20190811_210804789.jpg
    IMG_20190811_210804789.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20190811_210540835.jpg
    IMG_20190811_210540835.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 153
Ok you asked for it. I don't do so well with making a pretty plate or taking pictures though so you have been warned.

First picture is when I took them out of the smoke and was waiting for the grill to heat up. The veggies were leftover from the night before and I threw a couple of pieces of leftover back on them and put them back on the smoker for a second go around.

Steak and veggies were both awesome. I love the Rec Tec Heffer Dust.
Not a pretty plate?!?!? I would take all of those you had...GREAT JOB!!! Perfectly seared and finished!!

Reactions: Kim
My wife would hate the look (we wont get into that yet again but i cant help myself in constantly reminding myself). However nicely done, for the short time on the grill those took on a great smoke ring and color texture of a much longer cooked hunk for flesh. Now im hungry so pho it is :).

Lolol when I first glanced at the image preview, I thought that was a pool of ketchup surrounding it. I almost lost my mind haha.

Looks great, good job!!!

No, no ketchup here. No steak sauce either.

True story. We were at the beach with a bunch of friends one time and we decided to treat everyone to fresh grilled Mahi steaks. One couple who was used to fish camp fish was dumping ketchup on them so fast you wouldn't believe it. I almost cried.

I only do steaks or rib roasts for people that say "well done" one time. After that they only get invited back for hamburgers and hot dogs or other such things. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back