First turkey on The Bull - Brine, injection, spatchcock, or whole?

Ram79

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
I am reasonably new to pellet grilling and this will be my first Thanksgiving Turkey on The Bull. I see several different recipes and methods posted on various sites which all look great. I can also appreciate that everyone has their own tastes, opinions and experiences which is why I am asking for my fellow Rec Tec members to share your thoughts and recommendations. Does an overnight brine or injection improve eating quality and experience? Does spatchcock or removing the legs and tucking the wings help with managing temperatures and not over cooking the breast? Thanks

If you've smoked a bird before, follow what you did then.

I too am new to pellet grills, but have stick smoked for awhile.

Using the Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) method will help out until you learn the new grill.

Personally I do a dry brine, salt, pepper, sage, thyme, parsley, rubbed under the skin on the meat. Leave covered in fridge 2 days, uncovered 1 day. Then I cut butter pats and put under skin just before the bird goes on grill.

Have done several birds this way, so if it goes wrong I will know I did something wrong with The Bull.

Good luck and Happy Smoking

If you've smoked a bird before, follow what you did then.

I too am new to pellet grills, but have stick smoked for awhile.

Using the Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) method will help out until you learn the new grill.

Personally I do a dry brine, salt, pepper, sage, thyme, parsley, rubbed under the skin on the meat. Leave covered in fridge 2 days, uncovered 1 day. Then I cut butter pats and put under skin just before the bird goes on grill.

Have done several birds this way, so if it goes wrong I will know I did something wrong with The Bull.

Good luck and Happy Smoking
Appreciate your reply. This will be my first bird and a little self pressure to get it right. I’ve bragged to family and friends about my Bull, so expectations are high.....Happy Holidays and Smoking to you as well

Do it your way, do it Spatchcock ,do it brine, or do it dry rub... Just watch internal temp and you'll be good*

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back