Foil or Not?

Gotbbq

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Happy Mothers Day,

Anyway, I have a Bull. I usually put foil on the drip tray but have been considering just letting it go without? How many use foil, any without? Seems like i could save some time not using foil. What do you think? ??

Going commando?! A fresh foil job gives me the same fresh feeling of having a clean pair of undies on.
I would be afraid of gunking it up, then regretting not foiling. The scraping, grease smoking, ect... I don't know.

I stopped using foil a month into owning the Bull.... Yes it's not as shiny now, but it's all seasoned well I guess you could say. I just use a scraper to clean off heavy stuff and still give it a thorough cleaning every so often. Haven't really tried to shine it back up but Im sure it's possible with some Elbow grease.

I gave up on foiling the drip pan after few cooks when the grill was new, the grease some how gets behind it and then pretty much welds the foil to the drip pan. Maybe if you change the foil before every cook it might work. To me it's just easier to scrape the pan every once in a while.

Going commando?! A fresh foil job gives me the same fresh feeling of having a clean pair of undies on.
I would be afraid of gunking it up, then regretting not foiling. The scraping, grease smoking, ect... I don't know.
I'm foilng mine for now..........but
I stopped using foil a month into owning the Bull.... Yes it's not as shiny now, but it's all seasoned well I guess you could say. I just use a scraper to clean off heavy stuff and still give it a thorough cleaning every so often. Haven't really tried to shine it back up but Im sure it's possible with some Elbow grease.
I'll probably eventually end up going foiless too.

I use the wide foil for mine. It does sometimes tear around the drip edge and grease works its way inbetween and can be a pain. I just think that using without would be a scraping off pain and would tend to smoke off burnt grease odor into the cook.

I use the wide foil for mine. It does sometimes tear around the drip edge and grease works its way inbetween and can be a pain. I just think that using without would be a scraping off pain and would tend to smoke off burnt grease odor into the cook.
Grease will smoke and burn on top of the foil too.

I continue to use foil. Wide roll, heavy duty similar to restaurant supply. The regular supermarket stuff won't hold up - it makes a big difference. I change it every few cooks or if it's particularly messy. My opinion is that scraping would be about as much work, and I've removed some stuff on foil that would be a PITA to clean off an uncovered pan.

I use wide foil as well. Commercial grade. I foil the tray nicely and then float a single sheet on the top of the tray. It's lifts right out after I cook and I toss it. When I'm ready to cook again, I repeat the foil topper. I go about 4 cooks before I replace the bottom layer.

I feel better knowing it's clean and it's always ready when I'm ready to cook... Like now.

Happy Mother's Day!

@Gotbbq I used to foil for the first several months of owning my Rec Tec Bull, but have since stopped using foil.

With foil I would still get junk under the foil, causing the foil to stick and I would always ended up scrapping the drip pain anyways.

For me it's simpler and just as easy to scrap and be done with it.

I use wide foil as well. Commercial grade. I foil the tray nicely and then float a single sheet on the top of the tray. It's lifts right out after I cook and I toss it. When I'm ready to cook again, I repeat the foil topper. I go about 4 cooks before I replace the bottom layer.

I feel better knowing it's clean and it's always ready when I'm ready to cook... Like now.

Happy Mother's Day!
Nice idea with the second sheet, might have to steal that. I wish folding the sides wasn't needed to make it fit, but it's not a big deal..

Grease will smoke and burn on top of the foil too.
True, but I was referring to crud from previous smokes tainting the flavor afterwards. I didn't foil initially, but decided to after a few cooks. I will double or triple up with foil like Beth mentions above.

I will also clean the trough out with a putty knife after every few cooks. That seems to really get charred and can cause the runoff to pool over into the belly of the pit.

Just double foil it and you will only have to remove the top layer. I’ve had the same underside foil on for two seasons now. somehow it prevents grease going through and works really well.

Just double foil it and you will only have to remove the top layer. I’ve had the same underside foil on for two seasons now. somehow it prevents grease going through and works really well.
I bought a commercial product that just fits on the pan BUT it is not good. It has a little lip ant the exit end and let the grease pool up. No grease fire but not good. I may just go back to regular heavy duty foil. ??

I went without foil once. What a pain in the rear. So I foil and swap out when I think it needs it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back