Stampede Front Shelf modders

Dougfresh

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Well, the Black Friday sale wasn’t enticing enough for me to pull the trigger on the Rec Tec front shelf so I’ve decided to build my own. Thanks to previous posts I found the brackets and have a good idea about the shelf itself.

Couple of questions though:

Did you only use the 1 existing leg bolt to attach each bracket?

How did you attach the shelf to the brackets?

Finally, did anyone go longer than 30” on the shelf length? Seems like 36” is about as long as you could do without it sticking out too far on either side.

Thanks

Good call on saving some $$$ and making your own. You'll feel good looking at it and using it knowing you made it.

I used the existing bolt holes. Didn't want to put any holes it that didn't exists already nor did I need to. As far as the width, I made mine just about the same width as the cooking chamber.

20190625_174836.jpg
20190703_161304.jpg
20190625_174801.jpg

Very nice. Did you just insert wood screws through the bracket holes and into the bottom of the shelf?

Mine is 36" x 14" x 1.5". Nicest slab of ash I've ever seen. I drilled an extra hole in each leg to prevent the bracket from twisting. Have 4 lag bolts holding the ash to the brackets. Set edge off ash about 1/2" away from smoker.

20191020_174058.jpg
20191020_174036.jpg

I used a piece of red oak. Attached it to brackets with #10 wood screws. On the brackets I used one pre-existing hole and drilled a second.
IMG_8029.jpg

Even though our friends at RT finally produced a nice, stainless shelf for the 590 it does have it's short comings (yes, pun intended). The commentary from some who have purchased it is somewhat negative about the shelf not sticking out very much. It says it's 10" deep. Looking at the pictures it appears the design limits imposed by the comp cart front pooch out is what drove that dimension. For those who don't employ the comp cart solutions such as shown here and elsewhere on this site are good or better.

Can you guys share a link to the brackets you used?
I used this one per suggestion from another thread. They’re solid but you will have to use a step bit to enlarge the center bolt holes. The shelf will also probably not sit level either. I used 1/4” rubber washers between the bottom hole and legs to help level it out. Also seemed to help keep the brackets from twisting.

Amarine Made Polished 304 Stainless Steel Folding Shelf Bench Table Folding Shelf or Bracket, Max Load: 330lb, Short Release Arm (Single, Non Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D83OEEY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BB-6DbTHZQ4CN

Last edited:
Finally got mine all set up. Ended up using a cheap slab of laminated spruce. Put some wood hardener on it and it seemed to help toughen up that soft spruce. Attached it to the brackets using some machine screws, nylon locking nuts and a countersink bit.

FYI, 34” length seems about as long as you can go while still being able to engage both latches at the same time.

Merry Christmas

0528DF0A-7905-4564-A4CD-0DA97A2CF4CB.jpeg

764AD044-C9BC-4DEE-B09C-DB78EA3F8B19.jpeg

I used a piece of red oak. Attached it to brackets with #10 wood screws. On the brackets I used one pre-existing hole and drilled a second. View attachment 1609
Wow! Thats really nice! Wish I would have visited these photos before I purchased my shelf from rec tec. I like the extra room.

These all look amazing. Can someone tell me where I can get slabs of wood like this? Home Depot doesn't seem to sell them at this size.

You could maybe find a 12” wide board of oak at the big box stores or glue up your own from smaller boards to make a wider shelf.

I ended up just getting a panel of laminated spruce from HD for about $15-20. Spruce is definitely not a hardwood but once you stain it and apply some polyurethane it will harden up some. Mine has held up pretty well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back