Front shelf: OEM or Butcher Block/wood custom mod?

gaimcock

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Pros / cons? I think the wood custom ones look better. Obviously more effort there. Any difference to functionality using non OEM hinges? Anything else to consider?

I initially wanted the OEM for the convenience of just bolting it on, but for the 590 it was never in stock. I ended up researching here and decided to make my own. You can check out some of the details here.

I used these brackets at the suggestion of @Uncle Bob and couldn't be happier with it!

I opted to top it with a commercial cutting board after cutting it down to 12", but may make a wood one later.

I didn't have any problems attaching the brackets, and they are sturdy and have a great positive lock on it.

I'm sure others will chime in about durability, sanitation, etc, but I think it's all preference in what you want. If you mount a non-metal board, you might want to try and keep it an inch off the grill just to reduce any potential convection / heat issues. Thus far, my board hasn't warmed or discolored.

In full transparency, I only use the shelf to hold things as I'm transferring in or out, and use it as a surface to wrap things when needed. I don't chop or cut on it.

In the future, a live edge maple board hit with a torch to bring out any grain, and sealed may be in my future.

Good luck!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back