Stampede FULL heat not working...

Knuckler73

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
I’ve had my 590 today on FULL heat for well over 30 minutes and it maxed out at 430°. I bumped it back to 495° and now it’s climbed to 495°. It dThere’s a flaw with the FULL setting.

The best way to get an answer to your question is to call RT tech support and they'll run you through a diagnostic procedure to determine. I will say that 30 minutes isn't enough time to get to full temp in my experience on the 590, I'd say 1 hour is more realistic at the 6.5 factory set feed rate with the Cookin' Pellets blend. So there is a possibility your feed rate is low, or the pellets you're using aren't as "hot" as some others might be. Hickory seems to burn the hottest, fruit woods less so. The highest I've gotten mine was 546, and the last 40 or so degrees was fairly slow, and recovery when the lid opened was real slow.

feed rate reduced to 3 on my 2nd cook, several weeks ago. I am doing well at smoking temps with this setting. holds temp very very steady.

I was trying to use my grill grates for first serious sear job on some skirt steaks, it was a failure btw.

I had it set at 400 and bumped it to FULL... it was much longer than 30... maybe even 45 minutes it held steady at 430 for more than 10 mitutes with no gains. i adjusted it down to 495 and very quickly it gained to and sat at 495. There is some kind of problem with the FULL setting.

feed rate reduced to 3 on my 2nd cook, several weeks ago. I am doing well at smoking temps with this setting. holds temp very very steady.

I was trying to use my grill grates for first serious sear job on some skirt steaks, it was a failure btw.

I had it set at 400 and bumped it to FULL... it was much longer than 30... maybe even 45 minutes it held steady at 430 for more than 10 mitutes with no gains. i adjusted it down to 495 and very quickly it gained to and sat at 495. There is some kind of problem with the FULL setting.
That's interesting ,I'll have to try this next to.e I need high heat just to see if it happens on mine also.

I was having issues with my grill taking a long time to heat up and would max out at the FULL setting around 475F-ish. Called RT and they had me push the fan in a tad and move/bend the temp probe away from the grill wall. They said you should be seeing 500+F by 30 minutes. Anyway, it's a searing machine now. Call them if you are having issues.

I had mine on full tonight and could only get to about 417.
Set it at 495 and it went up to 465. Was not able to make 500. The searing plates still worked pretty well.
I will continue to monitor how high I am able to get the temp.
Plan on doing a pork butt and ribs this weekend.

I had mine on full tonight and could only get to about 417.
Set it at 495 and it went up to 465. Was not able to make 500. The searing plates still worked pretty well.
I will continue to monitor how high I am able to get the temp.
Plan on doing a pork butt and ribs this weekend.

The other night I was not able to get mine up to 400. Weather was mid 40s with some wind and drizzle. I'm losing confidence that it will be able to grill when it gets cold, though it seems to get to smoking temps fine.

I had set my minimum feed rate down when it was hot because it had trouble staying under 250. I set that back to normal now and will clean out the burn pot and see what happens. In the summer it was getting over 550 no problem. The way I understand it, the minimum feed rate shouldn't have anything to do with the ability to get to full temps but I may have to call them and chat. I also sealed my lid a few weeks ago and wonder if that was counter productive.

In general I've noticed some odd behavior now that the weather has turned cooler. A couple of times the temp has dropped 10+ degrees during the warm up before recovering, and the fan isn't cycling on and off when set to "Lo" like it was before.

Saw this on the FAQ section of the rec tech site. It applies to another model, but may be applicable to yours as well.
Try heating your grill to the maximum temperature, and then select FULL

Here’s info I reference
What does the "full" feature do?
After your temperature selection reaches 550F you can push the up arrow one more time to enter "full" mode. When in "full" mode your grill will run at full auger capacity and can reach temperatures in excess of 550F (this will be limited by pellet fuel selection and weather conditions).”

Hope this helps

Definitely check the probe to wall distance. I was having all sorts of temperatures problems and I finally discovered the probe was bent toward the wall from factory. It was touching, or certainly very close to touching, the wall when hot.

I’ve had my RT-590 about 32 hours now. After my cook today I set it on full. Took about 7 min to go from 220 to 500 on full and kept going to peak at 669 but stable only at 667 which did not take long. Burning hickory.
B03DE73C-D629-497F-AD67-7BE11B2C1B21.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back