Gizmo-holic temptations

Uncle Bob

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
As I've demonstrated before, I'm a gizmo-holic………………….I know I'm not alone, there are others out there.

Pellet smokers are a form and compete with other smoker/bbq/outdoor cooker designs/styles. Each type of equipment has it's devotees/champions and from time to time folks will "switch sides" as they learn about an alternative method/product. We've seen a number of folks come on here to announce their joining the RT family of pellet junkies having left their kamado sitting to the side. Sometimes it will languish forever, others (myself included) will get occasional use for foods that we perceive turn out better in that style of cooker.

The folks at Kamado Joe must have noticed the dramatic increase in pellet smoker interest as it appears they will be bringing out a pellet smoker in kamado form in early 2020. You can have a peek at 3:00 in this you tube vid. No, I probably won't be a customer, but you might......……………...

Interesting concept for sure. I would love to see that in person, though as you will not be a customer but like it. Personally I picked up a 700 for 1)needed more space and 2)wanted to try something new (pellet grill).

This pellet fed Kamado Joe is either going to be a resounding hit or a colossal flop. No in between, and I think this is why KJ is taking the approach of simply adding it to their lineup as opposed to going "all in" when it comes to pellet grills.

As the owner of a Rec Tec 590 Stampede and a Kamado Joe Classic, among other grills and smokers, the Stampede is now the workhorse in my lineup because of it's convenience, lack of a need for babysitting a fire, rock solid temperature control, and it's ability to turn out great food.

I like the rectangular layout of my Rec Tec vs the round layout of my Kamado Joe.

I don't know that adding a pellet hopper and auger to my Kamado Joe would change my current preference of my 590 Stampede and it's layout over my Kamado Joe.

Things I like about my Kamado Joe, the Joetissirie for one, and I prefer steaks seared over hot lump charcoal and cast iron at the 950°-1000° range that the KJ can give me, I prefer plank salmon from it as well, these are things that adding a pellet hopper to it, wouldn't give me.

But as I think about it, a pellet fed Kamado with a Joetisserie on it, would be a nice feature.

A Kamado which would actually hold very tight temperature over a long period of time instead of fluctuating, assuming this new pellet fed Kamado Joe has a PID controller, overall that might be a winner.

It's not for me though, as it wouldn't give me what I don't already have. A great pellet grill, namely my Stampede 590, and the option as the mood strikes me, to setup for a lump charcoal cook.

Finally, assuming that this thing is the same dimensions as the current 18 in Kamado Joe Classic at 254sq inches of cooking space on it's main grate, and a total of 508 sq in with both grates, the cost of this item is going to be a matter of concern as well in that the current charcoal model of the Kamado Joe goes for almost $1200.00.

I don't expect that the new pellet model will go for much less than that.

The eventual price of this thing will no doubt be a strong determining factor in how well it does in the pellet grill market. I suspect that it will have an uphill climb if it gets outside of that $1000.00-$1195.00 range

All great points, I have over the years dialed in my kamado where i dont have to make many changes once i get it set. As you know a few degrees either side doesnt make any difference. I think KJ in general has a great enough following that you will have the fanboys out in full force which will spur their friends. What in interesting to me is the metal bottom half, the metal deflector isnt a big deal but will the unit hold heat the same as a full ceramic shell?

I hear you on the don't have to make many changes once i get it set, and the few degrees either way not making much of a difference..

But I do have to make the occasional daisy wheel adjustment over the course of a long cook when I set up for a low and slow cook on the KJ depending upon ambient temperatures.

At night, or more accurately during the wee hours of the morning, when the outside temps here in the northeast drop significantly, this can be an issue.

In other words, I'd never go to bed on an overnight cook in my KJ. However I routinely and without any reservation or hesitation, go to bed on overnight cooks done on my Rec Tec.

Rec Tec has just about got this pellet grill thing down though. Yeah, I realize that KJ has a huge following.

However Rec Tec has hit that sweet spot between price point and value for what you get in the pellet grill market. They own the $900.00-$1200.00 pellet grill price range. Nobody in pellet grills in that price range can touch them. And arguably even outside of and above that price range they still hold their own.

If this new KJ goes outside of that price range, and I don't see how it won't be, considering that the Classic lump charcoal version of the 18in KJ is already at about $1200.00, well then it is going to be a tough sell.

And an even tougher sell if it starts to head over into MAK or Yoder type pricing.

That's interesting. 9 pounds of pellets going 15 hours, that's pretty efficient. And 650 degrees is plenty hot for most.

But the point of ceramic is to hold temps well, so it seems redundant to have a pellet fed ceramic. And it won't be cheap. I'm a bit skeptical but will be looking forward to reviews.

But I do have to make the occasional daisy wheel adjustment over the course of a long cook when I set up for a low and slow cook on the KJ depending upon ambient temperatures.

At night, or more accurately during the wee hours of the morning, when the outside temps here in the northeast drop significantly, this can be an issue.
Agreed on both, was never fun getting woken up because of temp issue, thats why i picked up a temp controller for the kamado but only ever use it for those occassional nights when i have to run both as for me as well the Bull has filled that spot nicely.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back