Stampede GMG Green Mountain Pizza Oven Attachment for Rec Tec Stampede RT-590

And at least 700 degrees to create crisp crust with moist interior and well cooked toppings

Another dough option if you're lazy like me; go to your favorite local pizza joint and ask them to sell you some dough. Mine sells balls of dough, big enough to make an 18" pizza for a couple bucks.
We buy 3 dough balls for $5 from one of our local places. I like home made dough but I can’t make them for that price. Or at least not if you count the effort it takes.

Regarding the Green Mountain pizza oven attachment I had one for my Daniel Boone prior to my 590. Before I sold my Daniel Boone I tried using the pizza oven attachment in my 590. I was not too impressed and sold the pizza oven attachment with the grill because the stone did not get up to temp in my 590 like it did in my Daniel Boone. For pizza I use the GrillGrates flat side up and use Winco Winware Aluminum Pizza screens I bought on Amazon. I put parchment paper down on the screen then the dough. I put the screen right on the flat side of the grill grates. I cook at 425 after 5 minutes or so pull out the parchment paper and cook pizza until done. Turns out perfect every time.
To me it was easier using the screens and not the pizza attachment because you have to remove the grates, pan and heat shield I found the results were the same.

I'm in the middle of an pizza experiment using a Lodge 14" cast iron round "baking / griddle" on my grills. I have a 590 and a 2 burner gas grill. I've used a pizza stone on the 590 in the past for pizzas. Just baked a thin pre-made pizza (12" - Palermos thin Supreme) on my gas grill (around 500-550 deg) with the Lodge griddle. Let it heat for 20 minutes (about 10 minutes to get to 500 deg, then 10 more minutes to heat soak the griddle) and the pizza was done from frozen in 9-10 minutes. Crust was super crisp everywhere - no under done spots - most uniform I've ever had (I've used pre-made dough and also made my own for all earlier pizzas). Now I'm going to do the same thing on the 590 - max heat & let the griddle heat up for 15 minutes after temp is reached, then cook the same exact pizza. I'll see if the results are the same. The pizzas are identical, so that variable is eliminated.

I think because the Cast Iron holds a lot more heat energy than my pizza stone or the stainless grate, that the results depend on that as much as anything else - assuming oven and griddle starting temps are similar. It's a little the same as using the searing plates - where the aluminum mass is much more than the stainless grate, and therefore holds close to the initial temp longer as the steak absorbs the heat and is searing. As an illustration, the cast iron griddle was still very warm 45 minutes after my gas grill was shut off. Some people swear by pizza steel cooking plates for the same reason.

If results are same, I'll continue to use the cast iron griddle on the 590 for my home-made pizzas. The 590 will hold 2 of the griddles if I wanted to increase number of pizzas cooked - for a larger group. Since griddle stays hot, could probably produce 2 pizzas every 10 minutes. I'm also guessing the Rec Tec griddle might work the same way for a larger pizza - since it has a lot of mass.

Eventually I'll see if my own pizzas will cook as well - with somewhat thicker dough and more stuff on top.

1604425129071.png

Here's my second Pizza - 590 at 500 deg - heat soak Lodge 14" cast iron griddle for 10 minutes after 500 was reached (about 30 min overall). Cooked 12" frozen pizza for 12 minutes. Crust was perfect - crunchy everywhere without burning. We added onion & green olives - same as last time. I guessing the gas grill had the griddle hotter - so cook time was a more less on the 590, but don't have a sensor to measure it. So both identical store-bought pizzas cooked the same with the griddle. Next will be to make my own crust & toppings & apply same process. My pizzas aren't perfectly round.

I think if the toppings were thick, then cooking at a lower temp, or having a steel plate above the pizza to cook the toppings (like a commercial oven) might be necessary. clean up is easy, since everything stays on the griddle.

1604445143849.png

by the way, the griddle was too hot to touch an hour after the 590 was shut off! So I think the 590 fire box holds heat somewhat more than my gas grill. And the Cast Iron definitely takes a long time to cool down. But the cast iron really evens out any temp variations, so every part of the crust is cooked evenly.

Hi all,
Here's another super easy pizza dough recipe that tastes great. The late Shotgun Red explains it very well.
Ed

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back