Grease Build Up

Gotbbq

Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Hey,

I have noticed after the last 2 smokes that I was getting a small amount grease at the temp probe end of the barrel. No grease fire but surprised to see it. Any thoughts?

Well the bottom of the pit is level but the drip pan is not. So that is a weird area to get wet.
Did you have anything on the grates that went beyond the drip pan?

Well the bottom of the pit is level but the drip pan is not. So that is a weird area to get wet.
Did you have anything on the grates that went beyond the drip pan?
I don’t think so. I spent an hour yesterday cleaning the grill back to almost new. No grease anywhere. I’ll check again after my next cook. I’ll keep the food away from that end. Just seems unusual.

If the grill is level front to back side to side the grease shouldn't be getting to the probe end of the barrel, maybe what your were cooking was a squirter. ???
I did do a large tray of meatballs with a fair amount of grease, just not sure how it ended up at the probe end of the barrel.

Just your drool then...
Do watch for that dreaded warp on the deflector, and grease fire.

Someone mentioned a little while ago that being level front to back could be a factor. Grease might cling to the bottom of the cooking grate and travel to the edge. I got some grease on the left side, too, and wasn't quite sure how it got there. Figured I either loaded past the drip pan by mistake or had some serious spatter.

Someone mentioned a little while ago that being level front to back could be a factor. Grease might cling to the bottom of the cooking grate and travel to the edge. I got some grease on the left side, too, and wasn't quite sure how it got there. Figured I either loaded past the drip pan by mistake or had some serious spatter.
Yeah, I’m not sure what caused it but I’m going to make sure my cooks all stay within the grates. I’ll check again after I cook. ??

Make sure your drip tray is properly positioned on that end. I did ribs a few weeks ago and had grease dripping through between hopper and cook chamber. After done, investigated and found out was out of place by about a 1/2" . Lesson learned.

Make sure your drip tray is properly positioned on that end. I did ribs a few weeks ago and had grease dripping through between hopper and cook chamber. After done, investigated and found out was out of place by about a 1/2" . Lesson learned.
I took everything out and cleaned it. I’ll check the position of the drip tray. You mean where it connects near the temp probe? ??

Correct, just sits on the ledge. Mine was not on there completely.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back