Grease from left side of grill

@Kim what do you mean by the left side is leaking grease? The seal is leaking?
I would just go through the steps of how grease got Into the bottom of the grill. It had to either drip over the drip pan, fall off the searing plates, there's a hole in the drip pan, a hole in the catch area before it goes into the bucket, it's unlevel.or something accidentally got spilled into it and not cleaned up afterwards. I know you went through somethings in your post, but it has to be one of these reasons. Just think of how many people have done one of those things and called RecTec saying something was wrong with the grill....it probably gets to the point where the get tired ofnit and say "are you foiling your pan"....as an answer...I'm not saying you haven't done your part investigating it or that they should brush it off and not give you an answer either. Call back and if they don't give you some help ask for another representative... It has to be a fairly simple reason and fix. I agree different people there can have different attitudes but don't give up !

I would just go through the steps of how grease got Into the bottom of the grill. It had to either drip over the drip pan, fall off the searing plates, there's a hole in the drip pan, a hole in the catch area before it goes into the bucket, it's unlevel.or something accidentally got spilled into it and not cleaned up afterwards. I know you went through somethings in your post, but it has to be one of these reasons. Just think of how many people have done one of those things and called RecTec saying something was wrong with the grill....it probably gets to the point where the get tired ofnit and say "are you foiling your pan"....as an answer...I'm not saying you haven't done your part investigating it or that they should brush it off and not give you an answer either. Call back and if they don't give you some help ask for another representative... It has to be a fairly simple reason and fix. I agree different people there can have different attitudes but don't give up !

It's on the left side of the grill while the grease drains from the right. The sear pans go on the right. I've been really, really careful since then and there has been no recurrence. My drip pan doesn't have a lot of fall on it for some reason and grease ran down off the left side of it and into the barrel then out a seam. I'm actually wondering if the leak in the seam could have contributed to the grease fire.

The attachment is a level on the drip pan.

Attachments

• IMG_20191228_170204850.jpg
    IMG_20191228_170204850.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 85
@Kim, I’m just going to come out and ask the question (at risk of taking flak from the group)...perhaps the skew in responses from RECTEC are personality dependent? Could it be that who you get as a CS rep will determine the quality of the support received? Maybe there isn’t a standard checklist like there is for an IT support desk?

I‘m not trying to make excuses, just brainstorming....

I don't know who I was PMing with on Facebook. Kind of have a feeling it was Ray. I contacted them through there first and asked them to have a look at my Fire thread and then let me know who I could call and talk to so they would have the info and the visuals. They just told me to call CS and of course when I did they had no clue what was going on.

When I tried to explain to them what was going on they just kept telling me that I had a grease fire and to wrap my drip pan and was going on about sear plates and fluctuating temps. I got frustrated after being interrupted several times and discussed my heat issue with them and then got off the phone. Once I started trying to figure out again why I had the fire I started PMing again with pictures of the drip pan and the level and they just started telling me to clean the drip pan more and foil and call CS on Monday when the store opened.

I'm a software developer so I know how frustrating is can be when people say that there is an issue and expect you to just know what it is without any kind of info to troubleshoot with. Chances are that I provided too much info. :D

Attachments

• IMG_20191227_143041601_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191227_143041601_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 90
I should have mentioned my issue sooner, but I really thought it wasn’t at all related to what @Kim was experiencing, now I wonder if it is the same issue, but different location on the grill. My Bull leaks out of the corner of the smoker box, even though I have never had anything in there that wasn’t in a pan or skillet of some type. I really can’t find the exact spot where it is coming from, as I would expect to set wet grease on the the corner but there is none.

The back of the box shows a streak that looks like it might have come down the smoke stack, but i believe that was just water residue running down from a recent rain.

Attachments

• 4F798771-622E-4902-A518-8CE720A0BAB1.jpeg
    4F798771-622E-4902-A518-8CE720A0BAB1.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 99
Reactions: Kim
That's odd that you can see where it dripped but none on the corner.

Has anyone ever had grease dripping from the left side of the Stampede? I changed the foil last night before I put my meat loaf on and after the grill cooled we drug it back off the deck onto the screened in porch. The grill, not the meatloaf. We ate the meatloaf. When I went out on the deck this afternoon I saw what I thought was a wet spot on the deck but it hasn't been raining. It's grease and it's dipping out of the left side of the grill. The meatloaf wasn't even cooked on the left side it was in the center.

What's going on?

View attachment 970View attachment 971View attachment 972View attachment 973
I have experienced the same issue, but it was my fault. I did not place the drip plan in the proper position. The left side was slightly higher the the right side. Once I recognized my error, I have not had the issue again.

Kim,
By left side I mean left side of grill as you face it. Instead of the drip pan tilted toward the bucket, it was tilted to left side of grill. Yes I always double up on foil and never go over the drip pan too much. I did not call Rec Tec about this issue since I felt it was my fault.

Kim,
By left side I mean left side of grill as you face it. Instead of the drip pan tilted toward the bucket, it was tilted to left side of grill. Yes I always double up on foil and never go over the drip pan too much. I did not call Rec Tec about this issue since I felt it was my fault.

Same here. It has not happened again. With the slight amount of fall that my drip pan has though it won't take much to send it over the left side of the grill. Grease trap/drip bucket is on the right as I face it.

After doing the burn-in, I realized the left edge of my drip pan wasn't sitting on top of the left-side support lip. Instead, it was resting up against the right edge of the lip. I'd been so focused on positioning the right side that I didn't get it at first and it looked quite flat. Repositioning to be on top of the lip increased the slope. Any chance you had something similar?

After doing the burn-in, I realized the left edge of my drip pan wasn't sitting on top of the left-side support lip. Instead, it was resting up against the right edge of the lip. I'd been so focused on positioning the right side that I didn't get it at first and it looked quite flat. Repositioning to be on top of the lip increased the slope. Any chance you had something similar?
When the grease was dripping out yes I must have had it in there slightly wrong or the foil was too loose and blowing up or something. My grease pan when installed properly though is like this.

Attachments

• IMG_20191228_170204850.jpg
    IMG_20191228_170204850.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 87
Well, I cleaned my grill and sprayed some simple green in the left corner and immediately it started to drip onto the floor. So I have a poorly sealed grill over in that corner. I grilled a London broil along with 4 New York strips tonight and I guess residual grease that I couldn’t clean or reach in the grill dripped out. Very frustrating to say the least but the steaks turned out great. I’ll call customer support tomorrow and see what can be done. Not sure if I can even reach the area that is leaking with high temp sealer??
I even made sure the grill was level on my patio.

I took the drip tray out an relined it. Checked the inside out pretty well and there is some grease in the bottom although so far I haven't had a full grill and have been keeping stuff over the drip pan. Of course steam from cooking food carries grease and it pops too so the whole inside is going to get greasy. I couldn't figure out where is was coming from so maybe a slight leak in a seam that didn't get sealed good.

My grill pad is on back order so I'm glad that we have one of those new fangled plastic decks that I could clean the grease off easily and no wood or concrete to stain. :D Also glad I found it before the dog whose had to get his white paws in the pictures did.

My RT 340 Trailblazer just started leaking grease from the left side as well! What's up with that?!? Spent way too much to start having joints leak four cooks in!

The CS is amazing!! They are sending me a new smoker! This is incredible service. I will buy everything I need for smoking that they offer from now on with how right they made my situation!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back