Great Pork Butt

Rdover

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Smoked a butt yesterday. Delivering to several friends of ours today that are comprised and can't get out. I use Butcher BBQ injection and Premium Rub. My go to favorite for years. I smoke in pan at 250 until internal temp reached 170. I then wrap in foil and continue until temp reached 200. Remove and rest until warm then pull and put 1 lb in each bag.

Attachments

• IMG_20200405_115444.jpg
    IMG_20200405_115444.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20200405_183333.jpg
    IMG_20200405_183333.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 133
I've been wanting to try a butt or chuck in a pan. Seeing this is making me want to even more. Did you add any broth or liquids to the pan?

Smoked a butt yesterday. Delivering to several friends of ours today that are comprised and can't get out. I use Butcher BBQ injection and Premium Rub. My go to favorite for years. I smoke in pan at 250 until internal temp reached 170. I then wrap in foil and continue until temp reached 200. Remove and rest until warm then pull and put 1 lb in each bag.
Looks great. Do you always inject? I never have but wonder if I should? Big difference?

For years I smoked butts directly on the grates. Got tired of cleaning up the grease drippings AND wished I had some way to capture that wonderful juice. Starting smoking in pan after going to a bbq class in FL. Not that much difference in bark and you have the juices to add back to pork if dry. When I do not inject I usually need the juice. When I inject I do not. No need to ever add any type of broth.

I've never tried the "wrap in foil to finish off" method. But I've been reading about it lately. I have a butt in my fridge that I'll do on the Bull soon. I haven't decided if I'll wrap it in foil yet. Is that a metal grill thing?

I've never tried the "wrap in foil to finish off" method. But I've been reading about it lately. I have a butt in my fridge that I'll do on the Bull soon. I haven't decided if I'll wrap it in foil yet. Is that a metal grill thing?
Usually the wrapping in foil is to get the the meat past the stall. Many butts I do I leave without foil. Makes great bark. I do mop them periodically. This is my last one. Pretty good smoke ring, killer bark.

Attachments

• A47BBA7B-F98A-4ABA-BD76-1507B4DFF2C7.jpeg
    A47BBA7B-F98A-4ABA-BD76-1507B4DFF2C7.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 114
I like to wrap in B-paper. I think it helps push the stall and keeps moisture in while maintaining a decent bark. That sure does look good.

I like to wrap in B-paper. I think it helps push the stall and keeps moisture in while maintaining a decent bark. That sure does look good.
I agree. Paper is better than foil.

Great bark. What do you use for your mop?
I take some of my rub, Mike’s Redux, and dissolve it in butter. I add a bit of apple juice. I always mop it on hot. If not hot it cools the surface of the butt. Better hot to sink in.

I’m doing mine in a pan today and it’s about a 7 lb butt it’s I put on about 7:30 this AM at 225 just now getting to 160 Degrees at 3:20 PM is it safe to wrap now and take to 200?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back